Levers...

ok, i've always ridden with my levers VERY low, the way my dad always taught me when i started riding. it was with the concept of , "it'll keep your elbows up! elbows up=more control" well i'm the only person i know that runs low levers, and i ride with my elbows up, but i get severe arm pump as opposed to running my levers higher. but i also notice that when i ride with my elboes up with raised levers, i also get arm pump because my wrists are bent so much. I'm torn between the two, i'm used to low levers, but then my handguards have to be low(stupid aceribus mounts) and they dont actually protect my hands. is lever height all personal preferance or is there a scientifical answer for the advantages or disadvantages of different lever heights?

thanks to whomever answers my question!:applause:

i find it funny to see people at training schools when they are told to "keep your elbows up". they look awkward and uncomfortable, really forcing those hinges up and out.

they need to realise that its the relationship between the levers/wrists/elbows/shoulders/head which is important. they should be in a sort of line with each other if looking side on. most important is the shoulders/neck should be nice and relaxed. this will automatically relax your hands:prof: :applause:

set your levers in line with elbow, handlebar line, at about 25' angle.

good luck.

ps. get those hand guards sorted out, or the style police will be at your door:eek: :applause:

The current trend in lever position has alot to do with SX. Bike set up for SX is stiff frontend with a low rear end (cut subframe).This makes it easier to blitz whoops wich really is where SX is won or lost. Most of the time your hanging your butt off the back of the bike, not exactly the attack position but it works indoors.In order to even reach your levers while riding like this your levers need to be in a up position.I personaly am not a fan of SX or AX so My levers are in the middle and I use the attack posision just like Gary Bailey taught me.Elbows up boy!

I also run my levers down low - and just like you, I feel like I'm the only one on the track who rides that way. In fact, when I lend my bike to someone, the first comment is always "Wow your levers are low!". In the attack position, I don't understand how people feel comfortable with the levers up high - the wrist is bent upwards and it just doesn't feel natural. The SX comment from Mike made a lot of sense, but how many of us ride SX on a regular basis?

I think it all comes down to personal preference but I'm curious to see if anyone has more to add.

I may or may not be able to help on this one.......

My brother and I are the same size but he likes his levers low and I like them middle to high, last time he rode my bike he noticed how much better he liked my lever position and noticed when reaching for his levers, his hand was basicly in front of the bars and added a lot of strain to hold on when braking.

And one more thing, with his levers down he still goon rides with elbows down so I don't think the levers are a way to keep them up:excuseme:

John221ex, I ment brake lever, and both times I'v done it it wouldnt have mattered if i had one thread in both bolts. The ground has been frozen here for a while, and the way I wrecked they kinda stuck in the ground just enough to hold them still while the bike twisted. But that is a good tip, I seldom check that but I do from time to time.

to answer the ASV question , i lean my bike over on gnarly hill climbs on the regular basis, not once have i hurt my ASV F3's. but! i was stupid enough to get ASV's that are like a hundred dollars more expensive then the ARC ones, and the only difference is mine are anno'd. woo me for wasting money on color. i have been ridin with my levers up lately, i still get arm pump as bad, it's a lil bit uncomfortable, and the only benefit his the handguards are guarding my hands now. yay

Have you all tried the ASV levers that you "cant brake" caus the clutch lever on the 07 CRF is insane and I'v already trashed 2.

You must have a really rare ability to auger in, as I've used these levers on both sides for 2+ years, as has a racing buddy. We've never tweaked one of the ASV levers. Good stuff!

Didn't think you could do that and walk away from it. You DID walk away from those crashes, right?

I also run my levers down low - and just like you, I feel like I'm the only one on the track who rides that way. In fact, when I lend my bike to someone, the first comment is always "Wow your levers are low!". In the attack position, I don't understand how people feel comfortable with the levers up high - the wrist is bent upwards and it just doesn't feel natural. The SX comment from Mike made a lot of sense, but how many of us ride SX on a regular basis?

I think it all comes down to personal preference but I'm curious to see if anyone has more to add.

I'm right there with you on this one...although I ride woods, I'm the same way...when I'm standing, elbows up, yada, yada, yada...I've gotta have especially my clutch lever in a lower position. Not pointing straight down, but easily somewhere between 22.5 and 45 degrees below the grip. On my 450R, this isn't that big an issue, especially since installing the hydraulic clutch. But on my CR250, I have the clutch perch tight enough to keep it from spinning freely, but just loose enough that I can move it some up or down with a little hand force. This helps me a lot when I'm having to change from one extreme body position to another, like being way up over the tank on a steep uphill, then having to get way back to lighten the front end for a drop-away, etc.

I hear ya on that but Im on the other end of it. I run my levers high and my brother runs his low. Any time I ride his bike Im always smackin them up. Drives him insane when I dont put them back hehe.