Sign in to follow this  

Excel...which size

Can someone explain me why the KTM 250 SXF comes with a 2.15 stock (with a 100/90-19 tire by the way)???

one word... Euro (weird)

I think that KTM proved that they belong to the "big 4" now (Honda, Yamaha, Suzuki, Kawasaki) that is called now the "big 5". If I remember well, the topic of 1.85 vs 2.15 for the 250 four strokes had been discussed once on Mototalk, and I believe that David Vuillemin said that 2.15 is actually better (I can't remember all the pros vs cons that he discussed). I believe he said that Christophe Pourcel was using a 2.15" on his KX250F (why? Sorry, I can't recall). I also enclosed a picture of the rear end of the factory KTM 250 SXF of Martin Davalos where you can see that he is using a 110/90-19 tire, hence a 2.15" rim (so the advantage of using a 2.15" would allow you to run either a 100/90 or 110/90 tire). Again, I wish I could find the topic from mototalk (was discussed one or two moths ago).

2007-KTM-250-SXF-1.jpg

the wider rim spreads out the tread so you have a bigger contact patch=more traction

kaakua has the right idea, the bigger footprint makes an easier contact for the knobs to grab the dirt. plus turning with the wider tire is better for high speed stuff.

I personally would go with the 2.15 rim and then run a 100/90-19, it spreads the foot print really well, but wont have any tenancy to bog like some people complainabout when going with a 110 :applause: