Sign in to follow this  

Wheelies, 4-strokes, and oil.....

I posted this at ronronmx.com as well. Just trying to get info.

Me and my friend went trail riding (I guess thats what you would call it) a week or so ago and by the time we were done we noticed oil all over his motor (upper half).

Come to find out, he needs a new cylinder. I don't know the details or much about four strokes but the shop told him its from riding wheelies. Sounds like BS but its got me a little worried. All we did that day was pretty much ride wheelies for 5 hours because we were mostly on roads and there was nothing else to do. My friend is a little excessive in the wheelie department. He goes for like 5 minutes at a time (until he runs out of road) . I don't feel so bad anymore for not being as good as him. lol.

Anyways, is this BS? They said its from the oil not being in the right spot for too long. He rides a RMZ-450 and I ride a CRF-450. I just am happy that nothing happened to mine and I was wondering if it has something to do with the different brands. I was pretty much on one wheel most of the time too.

I've heard this about certain street bikes but I just thought it was a myth. Its got me worried. Actually, its got me missing my 2-stroke!

I just remembered some blurry details.

They said something about the front of the head not getting oil because it was tipped backwards. Somewhere around the valves? Not sure. Again, dont know crap about 4 strokes. Something wore out or cracked and its a part of the cylinder. You need the whole thing I guess.

I dunno.... wierd.

Anybody heard of this?

Thanks in advance.

its not weird, actually. its simple engineering. i don't exactly where the suction/pickup for the oil pump is on theses crfs, but if u starve that pump u could certainly do damge to your engine.

I think that the pickup is located in the central location of the motor, not the front. Look at a break-down diagram to make sure. Also check to make sure he didn't have a vent hose disconnected, riding wheelies sometimes calls for alot of revs, and that sometimes pushes excess oil through the crankcase vents.

:cry: That's a pretty scary thought! Every time I ride I'll do some LOOONG wheelies for at least 20 of my total ride time. It's usually right as were done just prolonging loading up to go home. I noticed my bike gets hot when I do this.....:applause: I hope the reason is not oil related. I'm sure 60MPH, in 5th gear, with no oil getting where it needs to be,, cant be good!!!!:applause: No more wheelies for me til :lol: I investigate this more!!!

It's definitely reality on some bikes. More likely on street bikes since they're more likely to be doing 5 mile long wheelies. I've seen a few guys with CBR900RR's and R1's fry their engines from doing too many wheelies. Don't know if it can happen on MX bikes. Like stated above, it all depends on where the oil pickup is and if it gets starved for oil.

My cousin's Ducati 998 used to push oil out the breather on extended wheelies. Pretty scary to be behind him while he's doing a 100mph wheelie and the bike is puking oil into the belly pan, all over the exhaust and the back tire! :applause:

At least the streetbikes should have oil pressure gauges. You have to pretty absent minded to starve one of those of oil. It will show you with that gauge long before damage is done. A dirtbike on the other hand obviously doesnt have a gauge so it is definately something to consider when doing wheelies....

Is there a difference in location for the pick up lines for the different brands?

I guess what I am asking is....

Are some bikes more prone to this than others?

What should I check for damage?