Sign in to follow this  

CR250R: which pipe and reeds

I have an 02 CR250 that I ride 50/50 track trail. I am trying to decide between the FMF fatty or the ganrly. Any thoughts from those that have used either one. Also, how much effect does the v force reeds have, especially on the low end..thanks

good post i have the same bike and waswondering about the exact same options...from what ive heard, the factory pipe is supposed to be pretty darn good

I have heard that also, however, my stock pipe has some dents so a purchase is on the horizon. With the reeds, some are using v force and some boyseen. Looking to do those changes plus a 50 tooth rear sproket. Just want a little more umph out of the turns. Hopefully I do not loose too much on the top...Lastly, how about a wider, low profile (80) rear tire for better traction?

wow, this is a good post. i have a 2000 cr250 thats stock and lookin to upgrade a little bit. from the magazine "motocross action", they recommended the pro circuit works pipe with the vforce 3 reeds on the 2002. (i think thats for all recent CR's, if im not mistaken.) they said that it really helped blend the power band from low to mid. i think im gettin the reeds first so if you havnt bought anything by then, ill let you know what i think of it compared to stock. ill keep you posted

Sounds great. My bike came with a FMF turbine core 2 spark arrestor/silencer so i think I'll go with FMF. I will keep you posted on which one and the performance gains. As for sproket size I have read 49 or 50 tooth is the way to go . Not sure if big difference between the 2. Which reeds are better?

I have an 02 CR250 that I ride 50/50 track trail. I am trying to decide between the FMF fatty or the ganrly. Any thoughts from those that have used either one. Also, how much effect does the v force reeds have, especially on the low end..thanks

You can't go wrong with either FMF pipe, Pro Circuit is good but the Doma pipe apparently is the best but not as available as the others. Use a shorty silencer as well, the regular silencer will cause a hit past 1/3 throttle where the shorty will allow the bottom/mid transition much smoother with a "torquier" feeling. V-force reeds will also help but I've found the pipe should be the first thing you try.

Do you think I give up alot with the turbine core 2? If you think so, I could buy a shorty for the track..

i dont know about the pipe cause mines stock, but for reeds go for the boyesen pro series, i have em and enjoy the brap out of them :applause:

Do you think I give up alot with the turbine core 2? If you think so, I could buy a shorty for the track..

Shorty for the track for sure, only use the turbine core where you need to, your bottom end will suffer.

Seems like the people are trying to help you out- but let me tell you the facts.

(This is on my 2002 CR250 as well)

As for the pipe selection, I would suggest going with the FMF SST. Why? Because it an awesome pipe and will add most power everywhere. I had a gnarly on my bike when I bought it, and I hated it. It truly did give power down low, but it made the bike suffer up top, and a noticeable difference too. If you take a look at the FMF charts, the SST is essentially the same as the Fatty, but gives more power everywhere. (The Fatty give a little power everywhere, and the SST give more power everywhere; see charts I will attach) As for your silencer, I would just recomend the FMF Turbine Core II. I personally have the Turbine Core II and I also have the FMF Shorty. In my experiences, the Shorty is nothing more than a short looking pipe that makes your bike louder, i.e., I did not notice any difference anywhere when I was running my Shorty. The set up I currently have on my bike right now is a FMF Fatty and Turbine Core II. I like the power of it, but that set up seems to 'kick in' at mid range and pull all the way to top (When I say mid range, thats generally speaking 4K+). My Fatty is rusted and has a small dent in it, and I will be getting a new pipe soon- it will be the SST. (The reason I can vouch for the SST is because my uncle also has a 02 CR250 with the SST/TCII).

And as for the reeds. My bike and my uncles bike were- at one point- stock at the same time. He went out and bought a pair of the Vforce2 reeds, while my bike was still stock. The VF2 reeds made a WORLD of difference. The power was there more at the flick of the wrist, a definite noticeable gain. As for your first mods, I would recommend the VF3 reeds before any pipe. You will realize that the stock reeds on these things aren't the best. I have a 02 CR250 so any questions you can ask me.

SST:

x_2stroke_SST.jpg

The SST pipe increases mid range pull and extends the over-rev considerably while sharpening the off idle throttle response. No other pipe on the market can offer these same type of gains or offer the same linear power delivery that the patented SST brings to the table.

# FMF Racing’s Tru-Flo stamping process ensures a perfect fit and optimum performance.

# Chrome plated for everlasting appearance and durability.

# SST Module is the brain behind this pipe.

Fatty:

x_2stroke_fatty.jpg

(no information on their website lol)

As for what I'm trying to get across..I have the Fatty now and its 'EY, ALRIGHT'. My uncle has the SST and its (in my personal preference), much better. I will be getting the SST here soon.

What is the difference between the FMF TurbineCore 2 Spark Arrestor Silencer, and the FMF TurbineCore 2 Q Silencer. I'm looking on MotoSport and plan on ordering soon. I guess I just need to know the difference between a silencer and a spark arrestor. Thanks.

I have it, and for low end, its not the Fatty:naughty:

Opinions are like ********, you know the rest. Generally speaking whether you go Fatty, SST or Pro Circuit and get your jetting right the bike will perform better than it does with the stock pipe. I've had good luck with the Pro Circuit and felt that it was close to the SST I'm running now. As far as silencers go the shorty version will give you better bottom end power and eliminate the "hit" from bottom to mid. Unless you ride supercross the hit is detrimental as a trail or off-road race bike, you need an engine that does'nt do anything drastic as you ride it. It also makes the suspension work better as the rear suspension won't load up. Ask Salminen how he likes his KTM to work and he'll tell you he fattens up the jetting and runs a gear high to keep his suspension as level as he can.

What is the difference between the FMF TurbineCore 2 Spark Arrestor Silencer, and the FMF TurbineCore 2 Q Silencer. I'm looking on MotoSport and plan on ordering soon. I guess I just need to know the difference between a silencer and a spark arrestor. Thanks.

The "Q" is a longer version of the sparkie and is needed if you need to keep the noise level to an absolute minimum, if you just need a sparkie then go with that.

The "Q" is a longer version of the sparkie and is needed if you need to keep the noise level to an absolute minimum, if you just need a sparkie then go with that.

The turbine core II is a spark arrestor too.

Does the longer "sparkie" affect performance? I live in a area where noise dosent matter to anyone but me. However quite is nice somtimes.

Thanks

Just got back from the track for the first time this year and on the new for me bike (02 CR250). I really like how it runs. Suspension is great also. I did notice the other riders seem to have alot better grip in the very soft turns. It's probably that they are much better riders, but how good are the stock tires. I bought the bike from someone who rode it very little, less than 10 hrs. Should I consider better tires? The ones on the bike are like new but I would buy new if they help.....thanks for all your replies....been out of riding for almost 10 years but now back full bore with my 10 year old soon....What a great sport,,,,,

Seems like the people are trying to help you out- but let me tell you the facts.

Funny how everyone else is just ignorant opinion but you got them there facts:worthy: