2003 DR650 Steering lock/ignition key ?

How do you remove the lock assembly? I am having problems with the lock. The key will go in but will not turn the lock/switch. It is locked in the left turn position. Never had a problem until this week. Rode to work and went to shut the bike off. Key was hard to turn, so I put side stand down to kill the bike and got off. Had to wiggle and jiggle the key to get it to turn and it was hard to pull out. So I sprayed into the key hole with penetrating oil and exercised the key into the lock and turned it back and forth several times. Everything seemed to free up and work for a few days. Now this morning the key (and spare) will go in but will not turn. As it goes in it feels like it has no resistance as in not hitting any tumblers. Any ideas? Thanks

thats odd. I am an avid lock picker. Yes i know weird hobby. But its fun. I have torn aprt many locks. Automotive locks are usually wafer style locks so i assume so is the dr650. I have a '97 DR but havent got brave enough to dismantle the ignition or try and pick it. It has two sets of identical teeth so two sides of wafers i dont know how it could comletely loose all resistance thats crazy. All the srings behind the wafers would have to break. I'm stumped. I will look at my DR when i get home to see if I notice anything else.

How do you remove the lock assembly? I am having problems with the lock. The key will go in but will not turn the lock/switch. It is locked in the left turn position. Never had a problem until this week. Rode to work and went to shut the bike off. Key was hard to turn, so I put side stand down to kill the bike and got off. Had to wiggle and jiggle the key to get it to turn and it was hard to pull out. So I sprayed into the key hole with penetrating oil and exercised the key into the lock and turned it back and forth several times. Everything seemed to free up and work for a few days. Now this morning the key (and spare) will go in but will not turn. As it goes in it feels like it has no resistance as in not hitting any tumblers. Any ideas? Thanks

Yikes! Are you sure you didn't spray penetrating glue into the lock by mistake? :applause: It sounds like the tumbler pins are so sticky that they retracted from the largest part of the key and remained retracted which would explain the no resistance feeling to the ignition. I spray a tiny bit of WD in mine but since I don't know the design of the ignition switch I'm affraid of drowning the contacts and causing myself major problems. It would be a hassel but removing the ignition, you need special torx bits with the center pin, then inverting the ignition and spraying some contact cleaner in it might flush out the sticky stuff. Spray some contact cleaner and run the key in and out. Repeat a few times. After letting it dry out try a little WD or graphite spray. I know the ignition switches are not cheap. :applause: Good luck!

How do you remove the lock assembly?

Hi SSHANK42...

It is possible to remove the ignition switch and replace it with another keyed switch or a toggle if you are feeling so inclined. In order to remove the existing keyed switch you will need a "security torx" bit which I was able to find at Napa. If you replace the stock switch with anything other than the stocker you will need a 100 ohm resistor as well.

Here is a thread by Floridave that explains the procedure:

https://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=432140

When it's all said and done all you need to do is put a switch on the ground wire and put the resistor between the OY/BW pair of wires...then tie the remaining wires to power...voila!

• 15 years later...

Is there a code on the insode

of the ignition lock cylinder?  I lost my key for this bike and took the ignition off.  It’s connected to the lock cylinder with some sheered-off bolts.  Is it worth removing them to look for a code on this bike?  Thanks