Sign in to follow this  

more low end power

hi i have the drz400s what can i do to my bike to give it more low end power and be more responsive i want it to be a wheelie machine!!! there area lot ov steep hills around where i ride and need the power for them i dont want to spend huge amounts ov money so i am not going to be changing the carb any help???

cut your manifold open

cut your exhaust open

take your carb apart and put some jets in there,

get a bigger rear sproket and a smaller front.

Sprockets, at least 14/47, do the 3x3 with rejet, and let us know what you think, mine is an instant wheelie machine all the way to 3rd gear, oh I also have the yosh but it does not matter which insert I run, open is the best but the small insert still lofts the wheel in 3rd gear easily.

Not yet mentioned, but perhaps better if you do this last:

- Change your CDI in order to advance your ignition

- Change your cams IN to a Hotcam

- Big bore

Noppy

With stock motor, except for hot cams IN and E EX, S base gasket, FCR and Muzzy, I CANNOT keep the front wheel on the ground in 1st or 2nd. What you guys do with with those bored out monsters is beyond me! :applause:

Yea go with gearing...Or juss learn how to bring that bike up the right way i know plenty of people who wheelie with out changing the gear it all about clutch control and back brake and gas...But since u got alot of hill go with the gearing and then save some cash get some other goodies for the bike

Since you don't want to spend much start with cheapest and do one thing at a time until you are happy with the result. The cheapest would be to get a smaller front sprocket. Then try adding a larger rear sprocket. But if your carb is stock you really need to do the 3x3 mod and rejet.

so ive cut the 3x3 hole what jets should i change and what to i live in wales in the uk if that makes a difference (ive heard height u ride at make a difference) also my stock exhaust has been opened up the guy before mee done it but it looks like its been done with a hammer and a chissel just a big hole banged through lol

it's not just the jets you change but the needle in the top of the carb as well, get yourself a dynojet kit £60-£70 and the instructions will tell you what size jets to use depending if you are running a stock or open exhaust, done mine but can't comment on jet sizes because the sm is slightly different.

I have the 2006S. IMHO, the best "value" to get you low end, and items you can do yourself:

1) 14X47 sprocket set-up.

2) 3X3 Mod on top of intake box

3) Re-Jet Carb with Dynojet - this one takes more time - take off the carb to begin

4) Optional/More Expensive - New Slip on Pipe - This lets the engine breath/exhale better. I think it made a big difference in that the bike can rev slower and not stall. But now your out nearly $400 dollars. The first three are all wellunder $100 each.

You can do other things to the bike, but they are expensive - the new chip, etc. I did the FCR-MX carb, but that was great for performance all around, especially on the top end. When I did the 14X47 mod, I lost top end speed. I can't explain why, but with FCR-MX I got more top end speed back. It seems to not be running as hard at the same speeds as when it had the Mikuni. Again, can't explain why. With Mikuni, at 65 the bike was pushing hard. With FCR, I can run 70+, and bike is not pushing as hard. Probably sounds silly, but its real. I really like the FCR mod, but it is expensive.

I would do the first 3 items mentioned above and evaluate. You are probably addicted like the rest of us to MORE POWER. The bike has plenty stock, but this phenomena is catching...more money.:lol::applause: :applause:

if your not scared to rip into the engine then get the e base gasket and a high comp piston and run race fuel

the hotcams stage 2 gave me more bottom end but the biggest difference was when i went to 12/48 gearing i wish i hadn't because now i can't keep the front wheel down (even in a hard shift between third and fourth it will come up really hard) i only went with that gearing so i could keep my stock chain length but i can still do a solid 75 mph or so