Am I missing something?

....or am I just stupid?

I'm working on a '84 XR80 (spark problem...actually the lack of...) and I am having trouble getting the flywheel back on. :applause:

I've attached a couple of photos to help me explain....

On the crankshaft there is a sleeve with two slots on the end,

garage.php?do=viewattachment&attachmentid=36178&thumb=1

on the back of the flywheel there is two arms that look like they should go in the slots...

garage.php?do=viewattachment&attachmentid=36177&thumb=1..

how in the heck do I put this back together? :applause:

I cannot get it to line up and I can only guess that I am missing some little detail...what's the trick?

Thanks in advance,

Michael

That sleeve, actually its a cam, is supposed to stay in the flywheel. Some folks take it out to make setting the points easier but it needs to be reinstalled correctly.

Remove the advance assembly screws from the flywheel including the two small formed sheet metal clips.

Extend the weights, they will be in the way of the flange on the cam if you don't.

Install the cam. Lube the inside of it first.

Let weights retract.

Install the clips and screws. The clips extend over the flange on the cam to retain it.

I take it you got the bike this way. I hope the cam isn't frozen on the shaft.

That sleeve is supposed to stay in the flywheel. Some folks take it out to make setting the points easier but it needs to be reinstalled.

I thought that it should...the only problem I see is that the sleeve doesn't seem to have the groove for the key on the crank.

It looks like I need to remove the key from the crank to take it off?

Then it wouldn't go back on with the key in......I'm going to take another look at it...:applause:

Where are you socal? Tell'm, TELL HIM!

AAAARRRRGGGG!!!!

You know me. I hate points!!!! :eek:?:applause: :applause:?

But everything you said was spot on, from what I remember. I was trying to remove all thoughts of points until I saw this posts. ?

AAAARRRRGGGG!!!!

You know me. I hate points!!!! ? :p :applause: :applause: ?

But everything you said was spot on, from what I remember. I was trying to remove all thoughts of points until I saw this posts. ?

Ha ha...you guys are great...that was it....the back of the flywheel even has little brackets to hold that sleeve thingy on :eek: Imagine that.

I guess the previous owner removed it and didn't replace it, when I took it apart thats how I found it.

I got everything back together and I have spark now!?

Thanks again....klxd

Michael

socalxr, sorry to remind you about points again...?

"I hate points" that's telling him? You can do better than that.

Hahaha! I agree!.........I was wanting the lecture from him. I guess it's someone elses turn to vent........

Leget, you will save yourself alot of headaches if you convert it to electronic ignition. You can buy the complete setup on ebay rather cheap. You can do a search to catch up on all the problems the points systems have caused if you want. Good luck either way you go! :applause:

Hahaha! I agree!.........I was wanting the lecture from him. I guess it's someone elses turn to vent........

Leget, you will save yourself alot of headaches if you convert it to electronic ignition. You can buy the complete setup on ebay rather cheap. You can do a search to catch up on all the problems the points systems have caused if you want. Good luck either way you go! :applause:

I agree with you guys about the fact that points suck....

This is just a backyard beater bike for my son (and me).....so I'm going 100% ghetto for now. :applause:

Thanks again.....now just wait for my 15 posts asking how to install CR80 forks...not really....I'm joking.?

But really.....thanks.

I agree with you guys about the fact that points suck....

This is just a backyard beater bike for my son (and me).....so I'm going 100% ghetto for now. :applause:

Thanks again.....now just wait for my 15 posts asking how to install CR80 forks...not really....I'm joking.?

But really.....thanks.

?:applause: