Sign in to follow this  

03 450r hard to start

I just bought an 03 4504r and I pretty much have to pull start it to get it going. I doesn't idle either. As long as you keep on the gas to keep it from dying it seems to run pretty good. Checked the air filter, put a new plug in it, checked the valve clearances and the main jet. What should I be looking for if it's time for a top end rebuild? Could it just be a plugged pilot jet or something?

I just bought an 03 4504r and I pretty much have to pull start it to get it going. I doesn't idle either. As long as you keep on the gas to keep it from dying it seems to run pretty good.

All the above noted conditions are classic valve clearance symptoms.

just checked the valve clearances last week and they are all in spec. I'm thinking the pilot jet may be the problem. probably tear into the carb as soon as i can get a new jet in.

just checked the valve clearances last week and they are all in spec.

Ok... if they're dead on, it's either a fuel or air issue, sounds like you're well on the way to solving it. :applause:

I am cynical. I would also have said valves. But since you checked them already, it is likely the pilot jet or could be cam chain tensioner.