Sign in to follow this  

What do I/We need to get to go faster

I see many posts asking or discussing basically the same question....

What should I spend money on to go faster????

And I've seen many differnt replies...

Suspension,

Jetting,

Porting,

Reeds,

Cams,

Blah,Blah,Blah,

I've given this Way too much thought, but here is what I believe to be (In my opinion) The definative list of how you should prioritize your resources in order to be faster .....

#1 PHYSICAL CONDITION; Get your sorry Butt in the Gym or on a bicycle or on the road, and build up your strength and cardiovascular capacity. NOTHING in this sport matters as much as your physical condition!

#2 SAFETY EQUIPMENT; I don't care who you are or if you have the natural ability of James Stewart, you WILL "wad-it up" at some time. It is not a matter of "IF", but of WHEN"! Buy the best, spare no expense here.

• Padded Underwear, Jock strap, Moto sox, Kidney belt, shoulderpads, elbow guards, knee guards/braces, boots, pants, jersey, gloves, Roost protector, Leatt brace, Helmet, goggles, tear-offs!

#3 SEAT TIME & TRAINING; NOTHING will make you faster than practice, and not just time "taking laps", because this type of time is better than no time at all, but does little to show you a better way. Directed practice under the tutilage of a pro. This doesn't mean that you have to hire RC as a coach or go to the Millsaps facility, but there are lots of fast locals who you can observe, and local pro teachers that will help. Also Books and DVDs are a great help (Gary Semics series is my personal fave)

#4 CONTROLS SET UP; Getting your MC to "fit" is critical in going fast. Pegs, Bars, Controls, Grips. Take the time to "FIT" your bike to you and your ergonomics.

#5 JETTING; A correctly jetted engine is the BEST power increase you can possibly make, most of us have never ridden a well jetted bike (I know you don't agree, but its true) This is also inexpensive, jets are cheap!

#6 STOCK SUSPENSION; There is much available within the stock setting of your suspension,

• Clickers, Oil height, Oil weight, Fork height, Sag.

You would be surprised at the results you can attain just by learning how to adjust your STOCK suspension!

OK, Now ONLY after exhausting items 1 through 6 should you consider spending significant resources on modifications,

#7 GEARING; Tayloring the gearing to your riding ability and the MC's power charecteristics will make the bike easier for you to ride and find yourself in the right gear at the right time.

#8 TIRES/TYRES; Getting the bike to "Hook-up" is a critical next step. This is where the "Rubber meets the Road". Different tracks and conditions require different tires.

#9 BRAKES; Now that you are going SO much faster, you need to be able to stop faster. Technique will go a long way here, but larger disks & better pads will also make huge gains on some machines, (some are GREAT stock and need no help at all)

#10 SUSPENSION MODIFICATION; Re-valves/Re-springing to your weight, conditions, riding style, speed will produce real results. Again, you get what you pay for. While there are many knowledgeable locals, there are documented experts out there too. This category also includes non-stock offset triple clamps and linkage mods.

And FINALLY

#11-25 ANY MOTOR MOD; You aren't going to want to hear this, BUT..

You can't handle the power your MC produces today

(Unless you are already a PRO then why are you listening to me??)

Only after completing 1 through 10 should you even begin considering motor modifications.

Unless you have a TON of extra cash in which case I am looking for sponsors!

I would say the two biggest are

1-Physical conditioning

2-Suspension setup, if that doesn't work for you

3-Suspension mods

Mind you i've ridden with guys on stock bikes that are very fast and i've ridden with guy that aren't that fit and are fast for how long ?

You don't need motor mods to be fast. However, what you do need, is a good suspension setup and a good excersize routine. I'm in the gym for about 2 1/2 hrs. a day on the cycle, treadmill, and benching equipment.

Good post! :applause: If I could get more seat time... man o man. Working and going to school at the same time leaves me only the races to learn at, yet I routinely beat scores of people with unholy amounts of cash thrown at the bike. My bikes are nearly stock. :applause:

You don't need motor mods to be fast. However, what you do need, is a good suspension setup and a good excersize routine. I'm in the gym for about 2 1/2 hrs. a day on the cycle, treadmill, and benching equipment.

why just benching?

I'm in agreement with all...the only thing I'll add is to make it a point, whatever it takes, to consistently ride with a group of guys who are faster than you. That's the single biggest thing that made me a faster and better rider. I'm still not even in the same galaxy as any of the lowest ranking pro's, or even the good amateurs, for that matter. But I'm way faster than I used to be. And that's another of my riding goals attained.

Buy a KTM... :applause:

Seriously.... learn the fundamentals and practice, practice, practice. Spend the money on the suspension before the power.

In any case... I ride like crap... so I need practice, practice, practice.. That's the hard part... getting seat time.

BTW... I agree with #1 by experience.. Excellent post... I think you nailed it.

Oh man, now you gone and done it! Your going to piss off all the dorks who couldn't corner or brake to save their lives yet have the nice uber exhaust because they need the power. Don't you know that an exhaust and sticker kit make you an instant stud? LOL

For me the list goes like this:

Physical conditioning

proper skills eg. body positioning, braking, accelerating, etc

suspension

balls

Keep in mind that list is assuming one wears all the proper gear and has their bike set up as far as sag, levers, bars, pegs and whatnot. Motor/exhaust doesn't even make my list because I routinely whoop up on dudes who have the uber exhaust on their 450's while riding my 97 KX250 smoker

You can't handle the power your MC produces today

(Unless you are already a PRO then why are you listening to me??)

QUOTE]

I absolutely agree with everything else, but completely disagree with this. I ride a stock (motorwise) 450f, and can handle the power. I can also use the motor to its full potential... the reason I'm not a pro? because the pro's use it MUCH more. Its ignorant so say that no amatuer can hit the throttle stop on a bike and hang on.

I might pick up an exhaust and cams do boost my mid-high range power soon. I have however done just about all of the above.

Buy a KTM??

I think KTM's are great trail bikes, but why do they rate consistently low on handling on a TRACK, by most of the magazines?? The Austrian's still haven't figured out the better performance of a linked suspension. Anyway, didn't mean to hijack this thread, it's great.

Buy a KTM??

I think KTM's are great trail bikes, but why do they rate consistently low on handling on a TRACK, by most of the magazines?? The Austrian's still haven't figured out the better performance of a linked suspension. Anyway, didn't mean to hijack this thread, it's great.

Lighten up... you didn't take it the way it was meant.... and since when do magazine's ride bikes.

I absolutely agree with everything else, but completely disagree with this. I ride a stock (motorwise) 450f, and can handle the power. I can also use the motor to its full potential... the reason I'm not a pro? because the pro's use it MUCH more. Its ignorant so say that no amatuer can hit the throttle stop on a bike and hang on.

Give anyone a long straight and they can hit the throttle stop my friend. What people mean when they say we aren't using all the power a 450 make is this:

Ryan Villo on a KX80 would smoke you badly, Nicco Izzi (sp?) on a RM80 would smoke you bad. They would smoke me and most everyone else on this board. So, until you can smoke pro's on smaller bikes you are not using anywhere near the power of a 450. But hey, your money so spend it on making your BIKE faster.

Side Note

I just read an article on a different subject but we can relate. Training is the best possible solution to becoming better at something. The article claimed that Tiger Woods spends close to a million a year on his trainers. One of the best to ever swing a club spends that much to make sure he is constantly performing the best. I'd be willing to bet RC, JBS, CR etal spend big bucks on their trainers each year.

Lighten up... you didn't take it the way it was meant.... and since when do magazine's ride bikes.

Didn't mean it to be an insult...just pointing out that KTM's suspension wise, tend not to perform as well on the track. They do have better components, (brakes, handlebars, etc.) compared to the Japanese bikes though.

Regarding the magazines.....Jody from MX Action magazine has quite a bit of years under his belt as a test rider....I wouldn't question his riding ability, and judgement of a bike's performance.

I might pick up an exhaust and cams do boost my mid-high range power soon. I have however done just about all of the above.

:applause::lol: Thanks for making my day!:applause: