Sign in to follow this  

1995 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4x4 wont engage

We have a 1995 Jeep Grand Cherokee and the 4x4 wont engage. Before only part time 4x4 would work, now we can't get it into any 4x4. This proves to be a big problem as we just recently had alot of snow and couldn't get up the hill into our driveway. We also almost got stuck multiple other times. So I'm wondering if anyone knows what could cause this? The Jeep really sucks in snow/ice because its rear wheel drive and the tires are getting old. This is going to be my vehicle soon and I'd like to get the 4wd working. Its kind of embarrasing when little cars and our 2wd Escape do better in the snow. I mean it is a Jeep.

you have a vaccume activated front diff. They are a POS! Especially when its cold out. to fix the problem you need to replace the vaccume activtor on the front differential....i think its 3 bolts. This is not real difficult to do, but if you dont have the skills/tools take it to a shop. also for a permenent fix you can install a thing called a posi lock. (basically a cable activated replacement) 200 bucks though...i think the link is www.4x4posilock.com but not sure. check in the 4x4 mags...good luck

The lever wont even move..

Which lever? if you cant move the shift lever you may have a bigger problem.

If you can move the shift lever:

Usualy on the transfercase that does not have the full time option will have the vaccum actuator on the front axel. You can jam it in position and leave it.

If you have different size tires ie front worn out back not you will also have problems getting it to lock in.

http://www.4x4posi-lok.com/

Doesnt look like they make them for my Jeep

The lever wont even move.. I don't know if that changes anything. Thanks for the help... any idea how much that vacuum will cost?

Sounds like you have a linkage binding, or internal T-case problems that are not allowing it to engage. Start by checking if the linkage is hung up on something, like snow or ice-seen ice buildup keep the linkage from it's full travel before.

If this has been an ongoing problem, sounds like a mechanical problem, though.

When I say lever I mean the one that you use to put it in part time or full time or regular. Its stuck in regular.

We've had them check the linkage but that was awhile ago.