Sign in to follow this  

Dusy Ershom OHV trail by Huntington Lake

As anyone out there rode the so called "best 4 wheel drive trail in Cally? It's NE of Fresno up the 168. It takes 2-3 days in a jeep to do this wicked trail. It's all above 8,000 feet and maxs at 10,000. A buddy has done it with his jeep. I wonder if anyone has made it on a dirtbike? He said there are some big boulder fields in parts.

As anyone out there rode the so called "best 4 wheel drive trail in Cally? It's NE of Fresno up the 168. It takes 2-3 days in a jeep to do this wicked trail. It's all above 8,000 feet and maxs at 10,000. A buddy has done it with his jeep. I wonder if anyone has made it on a dirtbike? He said there are some big boulder fields in parts.

Where in the hell have you ben, hey will be in Stonyford tomorrow staging from Digger pines come out and play bobobeeguy....

We had ana awesome ride last Sunday at Clear Creek, hooked up with 1stgear and road the Quik Silver trails, now that was cool.

bobobeeguy,

We did this trip a number of years ago on dirt bikes.. It was a great trip, we camped overnight at Ershim Lake in order to explore the area. It was cold at night.. We started at Courtright and rode to Huntington Lake then back to the trucks at Courtright. .. If you have the chance go for it.. Gear your bike down for the rocks.. Jack

Thanks huskyjack, but did you make it all the way through and back in one day? Where's Ershim Lake? I think I'll do it with a couple of buddies. With backpacks you could probably camp with your bike.

Skeeter, I've been riding twice in the foothills here. I haven't had a free day I could go all day to Clear Creek. I'm wanting to. I did have a blast last Sat. morning. I had to be back by noon so we went up in the snow and rode. It was sunny and nice. I wanna get back over and ride with you guys though. How come you and Mike don't do the Quicksilver?

Just a heads up, the forest service has been busting people with bikes that are not plated. I know a license plate is required at bald mountain, which is not too far from Dusy.

You may want to check into that before you go.

Bobobeeguy, for our trip we used back packs with sleeping bags tied on the bikes. We got an early start on the trail and set up our camp at Ershim lake which is a little more then half way on the trail. We then rode to Huntington Lake and then back to camp for the night.. The trail is about 33 miles long so you can get thru it alot faster then a jeep.. Pushing it a jeep can make it in a day and a half.

Thompson hill is the hardest part, steep and rocky but is doable.

The neatest portion is coming out of the trees at Cortright and going up a rather steep granite face.. Coming down it is an E ticket..

It's a great trip, hope you can make it.

Jack

Ive done it many times. Jeep can make it in a day if you dont stop, get stuck too bad or break. A bike can do it in 4 hours one way so round trip is easy in one day. But it can be ruff in a few places and you may ruin a 2 st pipe on the trip, get flats and tip over quite a bit. Dont go alone. The best way is to pack a fishin pole, take a few stops and spen the nite. Do the nite thing in July-Aug.

I road the piece from Mt. Tom headed south at the end of the summer. I thought it sucked to be honest. All the quads and 4x4's had basically spun all the dirt out from between the rocks and boulders leaving deep gaps in between just the perfect size to jam your cases into. A lot of it was actually pretty good but some of the rock gardens can really hammer a bike, even when your trying to be careful. The scenery is awesome for sure!

been there, done that. it's tough but four hrs for a good rider. hell on bikes, skid plates, rotors and such but very fun ride...kc

I rode almost halfway in from the kiaser side of the route when I was a kid on an old xr75 then again on a cr80 the next year. sound to be alot harder now. but that was 25 years ago.

Hey thanks for all the good input guys! I'll do it this summer. It would be sweet to convince another friend with his jeep to haul all the stuff and let the rest of us just ride on ahead. Being that its all above 8,000ft. how did your bikes run? At about 5,000 my 4 stroke starts running kinda crappy.

huskyjack, being an old-timer sounds like you know your stuff. What about Swamp trail? And have you rode above Hume lake or that Rancheria trail from the Kings River up to Millwood in Sequioa? Some of the high mountains trails are so dah gone beautiful it makes up for the trails that are mostly old logging roads.