Sign in to follow this  

1st oil change

I did my first oil change on my bike this morning as well as the cam chain tensioner. The bike is an 05' that my wife bought me for x-mas. It had 4 hours on it when she picked it up. I have put 3 on it since then and decided it was time to change the oil and adjust the cam chain.

Drained the oil and the bike was equipped with a stainless oil filter, cleaned that with some carb cleaner and let dry. Adjusted the cam chain and plugged everything back up. Per the manual, the oil change requires 1400-1450ml of new oil. I put in 1450 or just a tad under and checked all the bolts again. Fired it up and let it run for a minute or so for the oil to circulate. then with the bike straight up, I checked the oil level at the weep screw. Nothing came out until I tilted the bike towards that side. So I added another 50ml and drove the bike for a couple minutes low rpm to get the bike to OT. Checked the weep again and nothing, tilted the bike and the oil came out with less effort second time. Not wanting to be low, I added another 25-50ml and ran the bike for a minute since it was still warm, no need to run it for any longer. That seemed to do the trick.

My problem is, that is well over the 1500ml in this thing. Per the manual, a complete overhaul only needs 1500ml. Is my measuring container that off? I use gallon jugs of Amsoil and they do not have measurments on them. I am riding tonight at an indoor place and just want to make sure I am covered and see if anyone else has experienced this issue??

Thanks

As a general rule I allways use 1500mm for an oil change regardless of what is being done at the time.

You will probably find that you didnt let the bike sit long enough for the oil to drain off all the parts. Dont stress :applause:

As a general rule I allways use 1500mm for an oil change regardless of what is being done at the time.

You will probably find that you didnt let the bike sit long enough for the oil to drain off all the parts. Dont stress :applause:

Bike seemed to run fine tonight at the track.

Thanks