Sign in to follow this  

2000 400s is there a simple fix for the forks?

Is there a rebuild kit or someway to upgrade the existing forks?Also do you really need all 0f the special tools the manual says you need?The manual looks pretty easy but not sure.What do you folks think?Are the 2000 e forks any better than the s and will they bolt right on?

booger

You can change the springs to suit your weight, and you may be able to revalve them.

Most people just change the springs, and play with oil level and type.

You can do all the work on the forks with no special tools, provided you have

an "Impact Gun", to use on the lower bolt, you will need it to tighten it up as well.

I used a 12 volt rechargable "Snap On" one, worked fine.

Neil. :applause: :applause: :lol:

Are the 2000 e forks any better than the s and will they bolt right on?
Yes and yes.

The 2000 and 2001 S models came with inferior suspension. I upgraded my '01 S to forks off a 2003 and then had them professionally revalved, including a custom midvalve.

Find forks off a 2000+ E or 2002+ S.

Thanks ,Neal & Harp

I think that may be the next thing i try and do.I just finished the countershaft fix because of the seal and i put 14-47 gears on.I guess the next thing will be the shocks and a rejet kit.Do the 3x3 and billet tip just in case it is to loud.I do not want to have to buy another muffler.Bike is pretty much stock and i have 2 kids so i cannot trick it out as fast as most do on here.Plus having not ridden for 20 plus years it will take me a while to get back in the swing of things.

Thanks for all the help folks!!!!!

booger

I rode my 2001 S on very challenging terrain for almost a year. It wasn't easy and I crashed a lot! After getting the new forks and shock, it was a totally different bike.

If you are sticking to forest roads and basically graded/bladed stuff, you'll be fine. But when you want to start pushing yourself and the bike, you'll probably want to get new forks and a shock on there.

I think there is a pair of late model forks with 200 miles on them on eBay right now with a Buy it Now of $250. That's a great deal. That is what I decided to do when I found it a little difficult to locate springs for the 2000 forks.