Sign in to follow this  

Ford Box Vans

Anything to look for that is a glaring problem in Ford Box vans from 97 to 2005? Either gas engines or diesel, any problem areas Ford has had with engines, trannys, frames, front ends, etc.? Thanks.

Ball Joints and Radius arm bushings, especially the diesel powered ones-they liked to eat em up the worst, but the gassers killed their share too.

The 7.3L Diesel wasn't bad to work on in the vans, but the 6.0L was a :applause: .

If you can, ask for maintenance records, this will tell you a better story than anything ever can.

Stock U-joints were non-greasable, and didn't like to last very long, either.

For the most part, they were pretty good vans, while many don't like the V10's, they were great motors, just overshadowed by the power of the 'Strokers.

Closely check all the lighting on the box, make sure it works-many of the box manufacturers and installers cut and spliced into the factory harness and many of thier wiring components were sub-standard quality.

144,000 miles , 7.5 ci gas .Runs perfect.Air bags in the front springs.

DSC00151.jpg

DSC00027.jpg

img]:applause: :applause: :lol::cry: :cry: :eek::p :p

DSC00145_1.jpg

Thats a nice setup. I notice an AC, vent and something else on top? Does it have a sleeper over head or fold down counch/bed where the window is? Did you do the work or have it built or buy it thatw ay? Thanks. Running a small race team now ( 3 bikes), looking to go this way or an extended van. Steny

Bought it used with 107,000 miles.It was naked when I started.The back is 8ft long(determined by the lenght of most lumber I might use.The front right(passinger) has a bench,driver side has a closet just inside from the back door floor to celing and a smaller bench(big enough for the yellow lab to sleep on).Overhead cabnets over both benches to the front bunk(over the cab).4000 watt Honda rv generator that sips off the truck tank down to 1/4 tank so it wont drain the truck.Carrier a/c on top with fan vent in the rear.The panel on the driver side above the window was where I put a window unit in a box inside the truck(the tail end of the unit was flush with the panel you see).I went to the roof top because of space inside the rv part.It's very hard to get photos because it's so small(6' from the wall to the van cab).It's been alot of fun(and work) to figure out which way to go with the design.An example is almost all other boxvan set-up Ive see have a swing door from the back to the front and I thought that was a waste of space so I built a pocket door that slides into the driver side and doesnt take up any floor space.I'll try to take inside shots and post for you.:applause: :applause: :lol:

ps-roof vent and omni directional tv antena on top with the a/c

Steny, George over @ UPTITE has a Ford box van. Give him a call im sure he would be willing to give you the 411 on it. Gary,

Thats a great van set up. Is it gas?

When I was last speaking with George prior to October, he told me about his van. Came from Ga I think, ex Yamaha van. Nice deal he got, right before Katrina hit.

Every now and then Honda and Kawasaki sells their race vans (every 2 years I think I heard). Just have to convince my wife that it looks good going around town in a van.:applause: