Sign in to follow this  

Triple Clamps

Has any one tried the adjustable triple clamps from KTM? if so do they come with any adjustment recommedations? or info?

I have a set on my 300XC. You can adjust the offset angle by simply removing a set screw on them. Plus you still have the adjustability with moving the handle bars forward or backwards.

thanks for the repley,have they been worth the money for you? what offset work best for you?

I have them set for better turning. I was doing a lot of tight single track riding down in Mississippi and Alabama last fall. I can't remember which setup that is. Been about a year since I put them on.

do they come with instructions for set up/track conditions etc. ?

Yes it does.

The Book That Comes With All The Ktm With The 18 Or 20 Mm Clamps Is Not Right. When The Triple Clamps And In The 18mm Setting It Turns Better That In 20mm Setting

Actually KTM is correct with the assumption that 20mm offset turns better. In effect 20mm offset decreases trail by moving the steering center back. However, by deceasing the trail you lose some straight line stablity and exiting a turn the bike may want to go wide. But for "turn in" 20mm should be better than 18mm.

The Book Being Rong Is Coming From Ktm. I Have Tryed The 18mm And 20mm Back To Back With A Friend That Has The Same Bike (07 450 Sxf) And The 18mm Deffentley Maid The Bike Turn Better.

Mabey It Is How I Ride. I Have Also Heard This Form Other People As Well

The stock offset, or how it comes from the factory is 20mm. The guy asking about buying triple clamps may be missinformed as the new KTM's come with an adjustable offset! I have heard also that the bike may turn better with the off-set set at 18mm. I have not tried mine. I sell alignment equipment for Snap-On and what i said earlier about off-set is true. More off set- less trail. Motorcycles are a strange bird though. Try both and decide for your self. Also, you can make adjustments to the with fork tube/triple clamp. Lowering the front of bike (raising the fork tube) should give better turn in. I know, broken record.

it`s all good,thanks. i have a 04 with the ugly clamps,and i do`nt believe they are adjustable. i`m just wondering if there worth spending the money.just wondering if any one else has tried them before i buy.sound like they might work or at least give me more options,i do alot of diff races with the bike.

I just set my 07 250SXC triple clamps to 18mm offset (from 20mm) and will try tomorrow. I use for 90% offroad/higher speed corners. I am looking for more stability. At 20mm it is not bad, and much better then KTM's of the past. But I like a more planted/stable front end when the pace picks up. And at 225lbs with a full tank its not like the 250SXF is hard to turn.

I'll report back. I'm currently on a quest to find a 50mm wrench or socket to open the forks and fit my .42kg/mm fork springs.

William

Santa Cruz, Ca

I had a chance to test out my 07 SXF and swap out the 20mm setting for 18mm. The effect is subtle but it does feel slightly more stable (and the trails were pretty bad) but the most noticeable effect was the the front felt more planted in faster corners which allowed me to steer with the rear a bit more. I am more used to that feeling on my Huskys and I liked the change. I couldn't tell if on the tighter single track if it was steering a bit slower or because my bars were slightly narrower. But the bike is so light, I see no loss.

For faster offroad I am keeping the 18mm setting and would recomend it.

Tonight I fitted a new DID X-ring chain and effectively lengthened the rear another inch (chain adjusters near max with 13/48 gearing). I'll see how that feels.

I will be racing the bike in a harescramble tomorrow, So I'll let you know how that goes, with the bike running a bit harder in anger 8-)

William

Santa Cruz