Sign in to follow this  

My thoughts on the Leatt and the sport

I hope the AMA and CMA make these mandatory.I would also like to see track designs changed so begginers and intermediate riders are much less likely to get hurt if they miss judge a jump or section.Table tops are great way for less skilled to slowly push their limits and distances.They also keep riders in view of one another with less likely hood of landing on somebody.Injuries in our sport will always exist,But I think some of the more serious can be avoided with equipment and track design changes.Serious injury has negative impact on our sport and the lives of families and people who suffer them.We now have politicians trying to legislate new laws governing what ages we as parents can allow our children to start enjoying this great sport.That is not what our sport needs.We need more riders and racers than ever before and the strength in numbers to stand up to these people and protect our right to ride.We do not need more laws but more education with the young on safety and how to keep a positive view in the eyes of the general public that are on the outside looking in.These are the people that are pushing law makers to stop people riding on their own and public land.I look at Nascar and the changes its made with restrictor plates neck protection equipment in an effort to save lifes.They still have crashes and exciting racing but with better protection for involved.It has been an evolutionary process at the cost of many great people as it has in our sport.After watching David Bailey speak I was moved as were many.I think this product is a great move in the right direction.I will now get off my soap box and go work on my ride.Keep the little ones safe and educated as they are the future of our great sport.

The Leatt brace should be up there with helmet, goggles & boots as minimum gear requirements.

Although I believe it to be a worthy safety device, it is way overpriced. There is at most $20 of material in the thing and they are asking $900? I am all for safety but not for taking advantage of people in the name of safety.

Although I believe it to be a worthy safety device, it is way overpriced. There is at most $20 of material in the thing and they are asking $900? I am all for safety but not for taking advantage of people in the name of safety.

The same case can be made for aftermarket exhausts.

You Know you dont have to spend $900 they have a model for $400 also, as with most new things introduced to market most of what you are paying for is research and development. For $400 to have a better chance at avoiding paralasyis im ordering one.

I agree these pieces are expensive,but probably no more than a good quality wheel chair.As more companies develop variations of this product I believe the prices will drop in competition for your buck.Hopefully this happens before we lose anybody else to a serious spinal cord injury.

I agree these pieces are expensive,but probably no more than a good quality wheel chair.As more companies develop variations of this product I believe the prices will drop in competition for your buck.Hopefully this happens before we lose anybody else to a serious spinal cord injury.

yea, hopefully other companies are realizing how much attention this thing is getting and are in development right now!

Great product BUT......If I decide to wear one it should be MY choice. Nobody should tell me what I(or MY kids)should wear. I'll worry about protecting my kids and everybody else should do the same. I'm tired of being told what is best for me.

I havent looked into them yet, but I had no idea that they were that expensive . The pricing is total BS. Its a great product, but a $40 -$60 product none the less. This is taking the concept of demand way to far. It would piss the hell outa me if they forced me to buy one of those.:applause: :applause: :lol:

I bet with time just like everything else, the price will come down, otherwise there is no way in hell they will make these mandatory

1st of all the Leatt brace isn't new but new to the US. The price was set long before there was a demand. The materials are more than $40 dollars. That on top of R & D, tooling, manufacturing, overhead, import tax and tariffs for bringing them to the states. Are they expensive, yes and I wish they were cheaper too but making blanket statements about a product you really don't know about isn't right either. Protect yourselfs with what you feel is best but don't bash something because you think it is too expensive. Like someone said there are three models, the cheapest is $400 and the top is $999 which is full Carbon Fiber. Think how expensive Carbon Fiber skid plates, case covers, and frame guards are.

i would love to buy one but they are not affordable and for them to expect people to buy them at that price would be ridiculous. i simply cannot afford it.

as far as track design changes go, i understand what BWP Jockey is saying. i myself only recently became a fairly good rider. i havent been riding for that long and i remember wanting to do a few doubles but it's all about commitment. the biggest jump at my track is a 65' table and that was easier because i worked my way up to it. at the same time, everyone rides at their own risks and needs to understand their limitations. i think every track should have various tabletops but not lose bigger, crazier jumps so that way people can learn jumping greater distances and will then have the experience to ride at a more advanced level. pros shouldn't suffer because of novices; and im no pro, im in the novice group.

yes they are expensive. but that $400 is probably equivalent to about 2 hours in a hospital. Its more the worth it

I have not done any research on this, but how do you know they will prevent injury? Has it actually been proven?

I agree its a piece of gear that a guy should use, but the industry as a whole has really dropped the ball on protection. They should push for top riders to use the stuff. How many pros do you see wearing chest protectors or neck donuts etc. How many ads in the MX mags, other than knee braces do you see riders promoting these things? You know it all boils down to personal preference. How many times do you hear of so and so was paralyzed in a crash before, then think yeah it cant happen to me. Everyone will have their bad days on a bike for sure, be prepared for it.

The R and D cost argument kinda goes out the window when they offer the brace made of plastic for $400 and the same thing made of CF for $999. You going to tell me there is $600 worth of carbon fibre in that little thing? They are just trying to hose a bunch of people out of a lot of money. If they really cared about our safety they would sell the the things for less than $100.

The R and D cost argument kinda goes out the window when they offer the brace made of plastic for $400 and the same thing made of CF for $999. You going to tell me there is $600 worth of carbon fibre in that little thing? They are just trying to hose a bunch of people out of a lot of money. If they really cared about our safety they would sell the the things for less than $100.

Yes. Tell that to Arai also. I would love to get an Arai for less than $100.

$100.00? That wouldn't even cover the cost for just a gallon of a cheaper resin.

You guys that whine about the price are laughable. You don't like capitalism? Try to find a better system.

the expensive on is all carbon fiber and the jigs to make the stuff is gnarly expensive. you all are right that it is outrageous right now, but i dont see them coming in any less than 400-500 bucks for the top of the line one. they do have a heavier plastic one for about 400 right now, and those will come down too

they will be like helmets. you can go get a cheapy $100 one at the shop, or go balls out and get the best one for way too mush $. Look at Troy Lee stuff. exactly my point.