Sign in to follow this  

KLX 300 Acerbis or IMS larger fuel tank

I'm trying to find the part numbers for the Acerbis or IMS tanks and would like to hear from anyone who's used them or knows which is one is preferable.

Also, are they straight bolt ons, or do they need any mods and will the tank shrouds still fit if I use the IMS tank?

Also, I seem to be hopeless at finding KLX300 parts in the TT store, is there a way to search for bike specific parts? I put KLX300 in their search box to no avail.

Thank you for helping a KLX noob :applause:

I much prefer the IMS tank to the Acerbis. The acerbis stores gas in it's "oversize" fat shrouds. Doesn't look good to me, and I don't like the idea of gas in the shrouds. I think it's set up so that you can't use all the gas it stores in it as well. (I don't know why tank manufacturers do that. There's many out there where you run out of gas and still have gas in the tank.) The IMS needs KLX250 shrouds which are very expensive and difficult to find - but worth it. Sorry I don't have any part #'s. You might get some help from Fourstrokeworks.com, buy I think they were out of shrouds last time I checked. Of course you can always order them from your local dealer. $$$$$$:applause: ($100 apiece or so)

When in doubt here, I find that planetklx.com is my friend. I bought the acerbis tank, and while I think it is the better looking of the two options, I do not know yet how much extra gas it will really hold as I have yet to install it. Install looks pretty straigtforward, and even though the directions say to re-use the original petcock, it came with a new one. It looks larger overall, but the radiator shrouds are solid on mine, and indeed the petcock is located well above them anyway.

You didnt hear this from me.... Clarke is in the process of making a tank for the KLX250S.......sshhhhh

I much prefer the IMS tank to the Acerbis. The acerbis stores gas in it's "oversize" fat shrouds. Doesn't look good to me, and I don't like the idea of gas in the shrouds. I think it's set up so that you can't use all the gas it stores in it as well. (I don't know why tank manufacturers do that. There's many out there where you run out of gas and still have gas in the tank.) The IMS needs KLX250 shrouds which are very expensive and difficult to find - but worth it. Sorry I don't have any part #'s. You might get some help from Fourstrokeworks.com, buy I think they were out of shrouds last time I checked. Of course you can always order them from your local dealer. $$$$$$:applause: ($100 apiece or so)

bill p. you can go to www.fourstrokeworks.com and you can get the 250 shrouds. but yes they are expensive. (EMS this should help. yeah i also heard that clarke is making a tank for the 250S hope it happens.) yeah the accerbis may not be pretty but for what i do it works fine. at least it is better than the stock one. good luck with your desicion.