Sign in to follow this  

Deglaze Cylinder

What are you guys using to deglaze the cylinder bore with? How do you know when it's deglazed enough? Didn't really want to buy an expensive hone brush. This will be the bikes first top end and the first one I've done myself. Don't want to screw it up.

I've used a ball hone, but genrally I use a brush hone. If you're lo-budget, just use a Scotchbrite pad and elbow grease.

I've used a ball hone, but genrally I use a brush hone. If you're lo-budget, just use a Scotchbrite pad and elbow grease.

I like the Scotchbrite pad idea the best, seems the safest :applause:

actually, the best and easiest is the brush hone. You can deglaze it in under 10 secs and not miss a spot.

Dumb question, but is the stock cr 250 cylinder cast iron, or plated. Forgive me but it is after 10:00 pm and I have had a few Johnny Walker's and water. So in the morning I will regret telling you guy's this. I am very proud of my spelling though considering the circumstances. (Thanks college degree)

As long as you see hone marks, don't do any thing to the bore. Just install new piston and rings. if you don't see the hone marks any more take it to A motorcycle machine shop and have it honed.

i just put my bike together and didnt do a thing to the cylinder. the cross hatch was visible on the lower half not so much up to. i didnt kno i was supposed to deglaze. it had tons of compression should i pull the head off and scotch brite the hell out of it. or can i leave it