TE 450 vs 450EXC

I have not ridden a newer EXC but IMO the power delivery is very different as well as the gear ratios, I personaly like the shorter stroke motor and the close ratio gear box on the TE's for the type of riding I do. The KTM is a better polished package though, whatever that means.:applause:

Definatly different animals, the KTM has ultra wide range of gears, makes it more versitle, less racy, also has a very heavy crankshaft along with a long stroke, both make it a no brainer to waller thru the mud hole and find traction where there is none. Husky has quite a bit more power, closer ratios making it more racy and short stroke making the bike feal more nimble. The agility of the 450 husky feals like 1/2 way between a 250 & 450 of the KTM line. Build quality, I give the edge to Husky but only in a very slim margin. KTM seams to enjoy selling everything they can built so they are very slow to fix the problems when they have them, have several little things that you can live with but wonder why you should have to, the aluminum kick stand is one. I rode one 3 years with no problems but I see lots of guys break them, Husky, no problem.

Either one the carb settings are not to my liking but that issue is near equal.

I rode my TE 450 all day and then finished off the ride on my friends 525 EXC. My TE was either just as fast or faster, less squirly and felt more solid.

However, the KTM sits lower and is more comfortable if you are not tall. My friend rode my TE 450 and dump it 3 times at normal stops. It's a taller bike and seems like it's longer if that's possible.

The engines felt almost identicle to me so I'm guessing the 450 EXC would be slower.

Overall, I like the TE although I may lower the bike 2".

OK, I have not ridden EXCs for any time long. I have owned two Husabergs, they share the same (very similar) suspension with the EXC.

When riding, biggest difference between the two is the supsnsion.

Examples: after a two hrs XC race on a Berg my back hurts for days (that happens if you get older and sit more on the bike :applause: ), not so on the Husky.

Husky has WAY more tracktion, climbs a lot better. Very significant!

I was just riding with my buddies, they are having brand new Bergs, newer tires and are gernerally better rides than myself, however, wet slimy slopes that I could easily ride up, they were stuggling with. noticed that too on my first ride with the Husky comming from a 550 Berg.

The Husky is very stable, ruts & stuff = no worries, just ignore. On my Bergs, especiall the 2004 model is was a pain! Riding breaking bumps the handle bars of the Bergs were jerking left and right pulling my shoulder :applause: . Hardly rideable w/o stabilizer, evern after having the sussies at the tuner (I actually made the guy ride the bike) totaly different than the Husky.

I find these are the main two big advantages of the Huskys vs. the competitors. I believe the Bergs are similar to the KTMs.

what about maintenance? I hear that the KTMs require lots more and that the Huskys have valve issues.

The 05 and newer TEs have been rock solid and very reliable. The 04 model year did have some valve issues, which Husky acknowledged and fixed.

I'm another EXC and TE owner. Do a search and you'll find a lot of threads on this comparison. For my riding, the TE is a better fit. As others have said, it is a higher performance bike than the EXC. Far beyond my riding ability too, but darn fun.

R

I have had several chances to ride KTM's. The one or two laps I have taken on them I have always liked the EXC suspension on the nasty stuff if the rear sag is set right. Race conditions or more high speed stuff may be a diferent story. The big thing I have never felt comfortable with is trusting the front tire to stick. I do not feel as confident that the front tire has traction compared to the Husky. The KTM's are not as bad as they used to be, I think they put a longer swingarm on them in '05 or '06. The Husky is easier to check valves, oil changes, etc.