Sign in to follow this  

98 XR100 Carb Trouble?

Just purchased a 98 XR100R for one on the kids, gears all seem fine the bike is very clean looks 9 months old intead of 9 years. it was stored for a couple of years. When started it idles rough and tends to die unless on the throttle, when riding it hesitates and cuts out on throttle roll. What I think is going on here is the carb jets are just gunked up and I'm going to need to take the carb apart and clean. Just wanted to put this out to the brain trust, and see if anyone else has any ideas on what I might need to do. Have not had time to mess with it yet probably work on it later next week.

It's the pilot. Just blow compressed air though it and it should run fine. 95% of the time, that the problem.

Ya thats kind of what I thought also, think it will run fine once I've cleaned out the jets. Thanks for the reply socalxr

I think I am having the same problem. It runs fine at idle but if you give it more than half throotle it just died. I pulled the carb and cleaned a ton of gunk out, put it back together and now it runs for a bit and then dies. It won't idle. If you keep giving it throttle it keeps running but if I don't it dies.

Ideas?

Oh, and I have a 2 Bros pipe and uni pod. Needle is on the middle clip.

Make sure your gas tank is venting.

I had the same problem with a clogged gas cap vent.