Sign in to follow this  

setting up a utility trailer

I am purchasing either a 4x7 or 5x8 utility trailer (wire mesh floor with back gate) from TSC soon that will be used to haul my yzf450. I have never had a trailer before and wonder what I should have to haul the bike. I am considering a wheel chock along with just using tie-downs. Do I need d-rings to to mount to the trailer for the tie-downs and should they be mounted at the front or middle of the trailer when using a wheel chock. Do I even need a wheel chock? Any advice is appreciated or even better post a pic of your open utility trailer setup.

I used to just use tie downs but after having my DRZ fall off. Luckily I was going down a gravel road really slowly. The road was horrible and thats what knocked the tie down loose but I am not a firm believer in bike shoes. I have two of them on my trailer and would highly reccomend them. I'd try to get a trailer with wood floors instead of Mesh though. I wish I had skipped the 5x8 and gotten a big trailer when I got mine but it sounds like you don't want a big trailer. If you have any thoughts of wanting a bigger one I'd get it now though. I wish I had gotten about a 6x16 6x12 at smallest.

Just curious - whats wrong with the wire mesh floor. It seems fairly sturdy plus I think it would be easier (as far a cleaning goes, etc...). Thanks for your help.

The mesh floors rust out after awhile. And they sag with weight. I would go to wood floor too. Some eye bolts, a front wheel chock, and ratcheting tie downs are fine. Tire shoe might be better. Regular tie downs can loosen on a bumpy road with heavy bike. Soft ties are really nice too to keep your machine from getting scratches.

I had a 5x8 landscape trailer for a long time. Wood floors with the mesh ramp. I added 3/4" treated plywood siding to make sides 2' tall all around reducing risks of bike falling out (it can happen though, don't ask how.) I added some furring strips on the front to act as my wheel chocks and drilled 2" holes to feed tie downs through to attach to trailer frame. Could easily haul 3 bikes, 2 forward and one backwards. The only bad thing was gear bags could get wet and what not. But that usually went into my Tahoe I had at the time.

The flooring held up good and I pressure washed it every now and then to keep it clean. I butted the flooring together as I used it for hauling dirt, bark, etc... for yard work stuff around the house.

mx813

just don't get caught in the rain!!!

Whats wrong with driving with a trailer in the rain? I do it all the time with my open trailer and it never is a problem. Actually it is good when you are done riding because it somewhat washes the bike for you. All I do is put an exhaust plug in the exhaust and take the air filter off and use that intake thing by UNI that you put on to seal out water when washing.

I would suggest getting a "front suspension support" or sometimes called a suspension saver, you can tighten the bike down so it wont be moving around on a bumpy trailer, and helps prevent broken fork seals. For the $20 you will spend on it, they are a nice thing to have.

I would suggest getting a "front suspension support" or sometimes called a suspension saver, you can tighten the bike down so it wont be moving around on a bumpy trailer, and helps prevent broken fork seals. For the $20 you will spend on it, they are a nice thing to have.

Or just use a piece of scrap lumber-cost $0.

I have a 5x10 trailer, after first buying a 5x8 and finding it too short to haul 4 bikes. As for mounts, I learned the hard way that if you just hook the tie-downs to the under side of the angle iron rail, they can pop loose on a rough road (really hard on your gas tanks). I found that by drilling four 7/16 holes (spaced along the front, top rail), you can't shake the tie-down hooks loose. I run my front tires right up to the rail without any chalks (mesh floor). I bolt another length of angle iron across the rear when hauling the other two bikes (backwards). Been thousands of miles with no trouble.

Thanks for the help guys. I never even thought of drilling holes across the top front rail. I was thinkin I would have to put in some d-rings to use for my tie downs. The suspension saver is a great idea too.

Just a minor thing to consider is the tie-downs you will be using. I had a 3 rail trailer with minor suspension that would kind of sway under rough conditions or bumps and the hook came undone. Bike fell over. They can tip over with small sides too. I saw one fall over being loaded at the Rhino Rally. Use the hooks that are like caribiners or put tape over the them so they can't come undone. I ground down my handlebar when the 520 MXC came unhooked from a curb I tried to go over.:applause: My .02 cents.

long time listener first time caller, ok so I stalk these forums alot and keep to my self, but I had to chime in on this one, plus I had some extra time. Hands down the best way to hook your bikes to a utility trailer is a rack called "bolt it on" I got mine right from the website boltiton.net . I too started off by drilling holes, using odd pieces of lumber and aluminium, on other methods to tie the bikes down, bottom line they all had their down falls. I've had the rack system from boltiton.net for well over 4 months now and I'm not looking back. just my two cents, Hope this has helped, i will now return to lurking in the shadows of this forum.

DB

Suspension savers are marketing bull. If fork seals blow while trailering, they were bad to begin with. If it makes you feel better about tying down your bike, go for it.

I have a Harbor Freight 4x8 with pressure treated plywood, 3 removeable chocks and 2800lb eyelets for tiedown points. Works great with 2 bikes. I haven't tried 3 yet.

Get the biggest wheels you can for the trailer so the bearings don't burn out. I got the 12" wheel model. Clean and repack the bearings with good grease.

One trick for the tie downs is to take a bungie cord and run it between the loops on the hooks of the tie downs. Then when the suspension compresses and the tension of the tie down lessens the bungie cord will take up the slack and keep the hooks of the tie downs in place on the bike and trailer.

I have a 5x10 utilitly trailer with sides, mesh ramp and wood floors, I use d ring hooks (good for bikes or other items you may carry). a removable front wheel chock,( I have had my bikes fall over on real bumpy roads going to fast with the wood floor wet and icy) I think extra protection is the way to go wheel chocks are cheap. I also have a lockable front storage box for gear that I mounted to the front of the trailer, just make sure you get one that when you turn sharp corners it doesn't hit your back bumper.

You have all given great advice - thanks a lot. I am going to consider everything mentioned when buying the trailer this weekend. It will be used for my barely used 06YZF450SE so I don't want anything falling over or out.

I am probably goin to get some d-rings with a wheel chock. The d-rings should be mounted on the top rail I am guessing. E-trailer.com has some nice heavy duty ones for like $6 a pair and I only need 1 pair. Other than that I will put in the wheel chock and hopefully be good to go.

I put 2 straps front and 2 rear so the rear doesn't hop side to side.