Sign in to follow this  

07 KX 450 Clutch

I have smoked the original clutch in about 10 hours,I have had several 450 Hondas and never replaced a clutch.I dont think they made any changes to the clutch in 07.The internal steel plates got blue hot,I noticed the internal frictions had small contact pads on them,perhaps run outside friction plates throughout for more contact area? What are your thoughts? Thanks Jim

Not enough free play. You have to run a little more than normal to avoid smoking the clutch. The fibers must swell a little more than normal when hot, thus the need to run more clearance.

oil starvation, and do u ride with the clutch in, lets say going through uphills and pulling the clutch in a lil bit to dissengage the input shaft to the engine, to maintain the torque so u can get up those hills?

You can run stiffer clutch springs and add a couple of the optional thicker steels but its still not a great clutch plus basket wears quickly.

Hinson or Barnet baskets are great. I highly recommend the barnet clutch fibres and steels. Very heat resistant. Also the less slippage helps reduce engine tempatures greatly.

I just spoke with a mechanic that works for one of the Kawasaki support teams (ama pro),he says they run the Hinson components with oem plates.He also says they go through "alot" of clutches,just the nature of the beast I guess.

Try not using the clutch so much....on 4strokes clutch use is clutch abuse:thumbsup:

dirtbikes, with wet/mesh transmissions, which is pretty much most current dirtbikes, dnt really need the clutch to shift...i don't use the clutch when upshifting, but always make sure to roll off the throttle to unload the force on the gears...or else u will hear some clunking/grinding noise...

yea so less clutch, less abuse:thumbsup: