Sign in to follow this  

A few questions.

Hey there, our family is selling some of our playbikes to buy a trials bike for recreation. We're looking for a green stickered low maintenance tough as nails bike with easy part availability. Right now I'm looking at a 2000 gas gas 280 txt in ok condition and a 1999 Montesa 315 in very good condition and only a $150 price difference. I was wondering which of these bikes would be easier to maintain and would last longer and not have to pay high dollar for replacement parts? We'd like a nice light bike that performs well but we're definetly not going to be entering competitions anytime soon.

Thanks,

Marshall

Hey there, our family is selling some of our playbikes to buy a trials bike for recreation. We're looking for a green stickered low maintenance tough as nails bike with easy part availability. Right now I'm looking at a 2000 gas gas 280 txt in ok condition and a 1999 Montesa 315 in very good condition and only a $150 price difference. I was wondering which of these bikes would be easier to maintain and would last longer and not have to pay high dollar for replacement parts? We'd like a nice light bike that performs well but we're definetly not going to be entering competitions anytime soon.

Thanks,

Marshall

Both of the bikes you mentioned are great bikes. But, since the Montesa is in better shape I would go with it. Montesa is built by Honda so you can't go wrong there.

Thanks,

Marshall

Just curious where you saw those 2 Bikes for sale?? I found one of mine on "Motosoup" but over half of the Bikes on there were sold a long time ago and never removed.

Both of the bikes you mentioned are great bikes. But, since the Montesa is in better shape I would go with it. Montesa is built by Honda so you can't go wrong there.

Would there be a big weight difference between the two? Would the smaller Gas Gas be easier to learn on also? So pretty much the only way to get parts for the bikes is from a dealer or the internet? Any good trials parts websites or a dealer in nor-cal. Where could I find and English service manual for the Montesa?

Would there be a big weight difference between the two? Would the smaller Gas Gas be easier to learn on also? So pretty much the only way to get parts for the bikes is from a dealer or the internet? Any good trials parts websites or a dealer in nor-cal. Where could I find and English service manual for the Montesa?

The GG280 is 272cc, the Montesa 315R is 250cc. But the Gas Gas is probably a little lighter. Both bikes would be just fine to learn on. I have a 2001 GG280 and it is a very easy bike to ride. My friend has a 1998 Montesa 315R and it is a great bike that just keeps on running.

For parts and info contact Adrian or Mandy at www.lewisport.com

+1 on the Monty and most importantly ++1 on Lewisport :applause:

Kinda partial to the Monty because I have a 95 315r. Adrian and Mandy are a great resource and a pleasure to deal with.

+1 on the Monty and most importantly ++1 on Lewisport :applause:

Kinda partial to the Monty because I have a 95 315r. Adrian and Mandy are a great resource and a pleasure to deal with.

Lewisport are definitely plus plus and they are in NorCal...

Yah thanks I found both of the bikes I mentioned on the Lewisport website. The 1999 montesa is sold and the Gas Gas looks a little beat up for my taste so we might just wait a few more weeks. Are the 2003 Montesa 315's good bikes also? I know it would be red stickered but we don't plan on bringing it to state parks much because the only trials course I know of near me is Carnegie and it doesn't look very good. They are very quiet bikes right? It probably wouldn't disturb the neighbor's much to ride it around the house and in the creek. I know the weight for the newer trials bikes are in the 160 pound range are the slightly older bikes about the same? Also would regualr shoes work better for like brake feel and control than dirtbike boots?

Yah thanks I found both of the bikes I mentioned on the Lewisport website. The 1999 montesa is sold and the Gas Gas looks a little beat up for my taste so we might just wait a few more weeks. Are the 2003 Montesa 315's good bikes also? I know it would be red stickered but we don't plan on bringing it to state parks much because the only trials course I know of near me is Carnegie and it doesn't look very good. They are very quiet bikes right? It probably wouldn't disturb the neighbor's much to ride it around the house and in the creek. I know the weight for the newer trials bikes are in the 160 pound range are the slightly older bikes about the same? Also would regualr shoes work better for like brake feel and control than dirtbike boots?

I personally do not like to buy red-sticker bikes just in case I actually want to actually ride it at a park. Carnegie is a really fun place for trials (though I hate it for regular dirt bikes) as well as Metcalf and Frank Raines park. Metcalf has a really nice trials area.

As far as noise they are pretty quite. You are idling 90% of the time. I ride in San Francisco abandoned lots and no one even bats an eye. might be a bit different in the 'burbs -- people seem a bit more uptight about that stuff...

I've worn regular work boot and they give a much better feeling then dirt bike boots -- but i'm paranoid about braking an ankle (I crash a *LOT*). If you can afford it I'd recommend proper trials boots...

How worked is the GasGas you are looking at? My GasGas looks pretty worked over though mechanically it runs great (I crash a *LOT*) -- My buddy just bought a '98 Montesa that looked pretty wrecked but $250 later (most of that was on a rear tire) and spending a week of just going through everything it runs perfect...

This Saturday and Sunday there is a trials event at Hollister. There might be some people selling bikes. Also, a lot of people will let you ride there bikes...

http://www.sactopits.org/flyers/BACflyer.pdf

They are very quiet bikes right? It probably wouldn't disturb the neighbor's much to ride it around the house and in the creek. I know the weight for the newer trials bikes are in the 160 pound range are the slightly older bikes about the same? Also would regualr shoes work better for like brake feel and control than dirtbike boots?

http://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=411980

our neighbor grinned and confirmed our bikes are not near as loud as the leaf blower or the shredder

I would stay out of the creek, some tree hugger might ...

compared to my 03 2.9 our backup 96 JTR270 feels like an XR600

heavy, sluggish, plush, but very well balanced

for me some sections actually are easier on the JTR than on the Sherco

I personally do not like to buy red-sticker bikes just in case I actually want to actually ride it at a park. Carnegie is a really fun place for trials (though I hate it for regular dirt bikes) as well as Metcalf and Frank Raines park. Metcalf has a really nice trials area.

How worked is the GasGas you are looking at? My GasGas looks pretty worked over though mechanically it runs great (I crash a *LOT*) -- My buddy just bought a '98 Montesa that looked pretty wrecked but $250 later (most of that was on a rear tire) and spending a week of just going through everything it runs perfect...

This Saturday and Sunday there is a trials event at Hollister. There might be some people selling bikes. Also, a lot of people will let you ride there bikes...

http://www.sactopits.org/flyers/BACflyer.pdf

We definetly will try the carnegie trials course a lot we go there every other weekend. About riding your dirtbike there you just gotta know where to ride and it's a blast out there, I've been riding and exploring there the past year quite a bit and have the west hills mastered and just started riding the east hills a bit more. The Gas Gas isn't horribly beat but I'd rather get more of a like new condition bike if it's hard to find parts for them. Sounds like fun but I got my hands full doing my first harescramble at Carnegie this weekend which should be extremely fun once the rain stops POURING here. We aren't in too much of a hurry to get a bike because we can't get it at the earliest the weekend after this one coming up so were just gonna wait for a bike in good shape

................ Also would regualr shoes work better for like brake feel and control than dirtbike boots?

Fiep postd a link to one of our threads on equipment, but to add to it, the dangers to your lower legs and toes is too great without some form of boot.

I remember one guy from Montana that was a super good rider and a little eccentric. He always rode in tennis shoes and as far as I can remember, had no serious injuries.

Myself? Well, I consider my boots the #1 piece of equipment even slightly before my helmet when playing around in a parking lot or driveway. Anywhere else, I always take the time to suit up. Trials boots are much softer and flexible when broken-in and have a much better tread compound and tread pattern.

Your legs are in constant danger of injury from the foot pegs when it comes time to use your feet to regain balance. Even with boots, if you "Dab" too close to the bike, you run the risk of getting stabbed in the back of the knee just above the boot by the foot peg. My close friend has a problem with that so now we are trying to teach him to reach out with his foot away from the bike when he needs to use his foot.

OUCH!!

ouch.jpg

And if the above photo wasn't enough, the very next day, he added another even worse oweee on the same leg for the same reason..:applause: :applause:

We definetly will try the carnegie trials course a lot we go there every other weekend. About riding your dirtbike there you just gotta know where to ride and it's a blast out there, I've been riding and exploring there the past year quite a bit and have the west hills mastered and just started riding the east hills a bit more. The Gas Gas isn't horribly beat but I'd rather get more of a like new condition bike if it's hard to find parts for them. Sounds like fun but I got my hands full doing my first harescramble at Carnegie this weekend which should be extremely fun once the rain stops POURING here. We aren't in too much of a hurry to get a bike because we can't get it at the earliest the weekend after this one coming up so were just gonna wait for a bike in good shape

Yeah, what I don't like about Carnegie is the 2 way traffic on the really fast trails. Too many times I've come real close to a head on into a quad.

I was going todo the Harescramble this weekend @ Carnegie but a bad cold dictated it would be a lot nicer on me todo the trials event @ Hollister.

Yeah, what I don't like about Carnegie is the 2 way traffic on the really fast trails. Too many times I've come real close to a head on into a quad.

I was going todo the Harescramble this weekend @ Carnegie but a bad cold dictated it would be a lot nicer on me todo the trials event @ Hollister.

I ride the main trails just to get to the good trails. Like I said I can get to almost anywhere in the west hills with hardly touching wide trails so I know how to dodge the "Campsiters" and the couches especially since 80% are on Los Osos.