Sign in to follow this  

Finally rode the 480. Having starting issues, though.

First, a little bit of info backfill: My original 2003 battery just died for good. I ordered a new battery, yadda, yadda. Read about it here. Anyhow, new battery would barely turn over the bike even after I charged it. turns out the 20+ year old charger I found in my Dad's garage doesn't charge. Charged it at the neighbors. Picked up the freshly charged new battery today, put it in the bike and it would hardly turn over the bike and after a bit of cranking, began to die off. Pushed the bike down to the neighbor's house and used his charger to start it. Bike fired up fine and after 30 seconds on the choke and having the idle adjusted, ran like a champ.

Now on to the good stuff. I just got my engine back from Eddie's shop last month, where he sprinkled his magic fairy dust on it. I took my time putting it all back together, doing all the chassis maintenance and what not. Engine specs: Hotcams, big bore w/95mm piston, stroked crank, titanium exhaust, E gaskets, and a brand new FCR41MX jetted to Eddie's specs (spot-on, as usual). I also had a kick-starter and the Trailtech lightweight flywheel installed. I figured since it was apart and being handled by the DRZ guru himself, I might as well bite the big one and get it done right the first time.

Now, up to this point, neither myself nor two of my friends have been able to kick this engine to life. I figured the high compression plus being a little "tight" from a fresh rebuild and new rings were making it difficult. Well, I went on a little ride today, despite the freezing weather, and had a good old time. I thought, "This guy really knows how to build an engine." It really pulls hard now. I didn't cane the crap out of it due to the freezing temps, my race compound tires which hasn't seen action over the last 1.5 years, and the heavily salted roads, but 4th and 5th are much stronger than before. I nearly pegged it in 5th gear going uphill, and it only stopped because I let off. Before, I could only do that if it was flat and I held it wide open for a while. Anyhow, I rode until my hands started hurting from being so cold and brought it in. Verdict? Engine is a beast. Satisfied, I am.

I let it sit for a minute while I defrosted my hands on the warm muffler and then tried to kick it up. Nothing. I (and my friends) have tried the TDC trick with no luck. I'm an honest 190lbs and my two friends are at a minimum 230lbs each and they both have experience kicking bikes. I tried the electric leg e-start with no luck, either. Funny, though, because when using the engine-start function on the charger, it cranked right up like normal, which tells me the starter is fine. So, I bought myself a nice new charger today with an engine start function and I'm going to charge the new battery again. I'm going to try rotating the kick-start lever counterclockwise by one spline to get a little more leverage at the top of the kick. Anyone got a pic of where their kicker lever rests against the bike?

Anyhow, I'll have a better ride report after the weather warms up and this damn salt gets washed away. But as it stands now, spending the money and shipping the engine to Eddie was probably the best thing I've done with the bike. It ran flawlessly, didn't complain, sputter, pop, or stall out once. If you're on the fence about it, I'm saying you won't be disappointed. the icing on the cake is the very reasonable labor charge. Thanks, Eddie. (by the way, I found those damn spare set of rings .... at my Grandparents' house with my 2-stroke stuff).

bummer about the starting issues.i would say the battery is suspect still.

be sure that the bike is charging as well.

i dont remember which exhuast cam you have?

wow im thinking i might ship my engine out to eddie as well..... sounds real good

I have the "old" Hotcams with no decomp.

thats going to make it a little tricky to kick.

you need to put it in gear,pull the bike back as hard as you can till it stops.then go back to nuetral and then kick.

same deal for bump starting.

No more riding for now. Old Man Winter has (yet again) taken another giant, frosty dump right on our faces, this time in the form of freezing rain. I have six pines in the front yard with branches touching the ground. I hate winter with a passion.

Thanks for the tip, Eddie. I'll try it out ..... at a later, warmer date.

So what was the final price tag on the build up?

Well, this might hurt when I tally up everything, but some of it was spread out over time. I started with the big bore, hotcams, and exhaust.

Shipping ($100 each way) - $200

Eddie's reassembly - $280 + shop materials

Piston rings - $30

Kickstarter - $190

Trailtech flywheel - $150

Stroker crank - $500 (had it done over a year ago, though)

FCR41MX - $500 (minus the $300 I'm getting for my FCR39)

Gaskets, oil, etc - $30

--------------------------

Total - ~$1600 (plus the other mods already listed)

Grin on my face when I twist throttle - Priceless:busted:

Of course it can be done a little cheaper (without Trailtech flywheel and kicker kit). It seems cheaper if you can acquire stuff over time like I did.