Sign in to follow this  

Any central Oklahoma riders?

Picking up a YZ250f on monday, and don't have anybody to ride with. all my buddies that used to ride either moved away or don't do dirt anymore. I live in Moore, just so ya know.

I live in the NW corner of THE CITY. Ride a katoom old and slow but smooth as glass. I am surprised at how few of us OKIES chime in here. Thats your cue 04DRZ. We just met and rode down at the Cross Bar Ranch last weekend. There are some good trails down there. Are you a track or trail guy. Actually lots of riders in this town.

Draper Lake has a pretty full parking lot on a nice day. You probably know about that. Thats a good group to get in with. The OKIE DIRT RIDERS have managed Draper into a good facility.

Yeah I haven't seen but like one other Oklahoma resident on here, and his last post was like 6 months ago. Where is that Cross Bar Ranch at? This is my first MX bike, so I haven't ridden any track yet, but I'm looking to. My last offroad bike was a '00 DRZ400S. I used to ride the old Draper where you could just go wherever you wanted, haven't tried the new trails yet. What do they charge now? I hear it's kinda pricey. I'll have to check out the Okie Dirt Riders' webpage and see what they got on there.

I think a year permit at Draper is only $60 which is really not to bad, but a day permit is 10 bucks. I was very impressed with what they were able to do with what they had to work with at Draper. The old Draper was much better, but the new Draper is much safer. One way trails! And the parking and loading facility is World Class!!

The Cross Bar Ranch is 100 miles South from my house but it may only be about 60 from yours. It is down by Davis OK in the Arbuckle Mountains. They call them mountains but to me they are just hills. Some pretty nice hills though.

I bet you are gonna like your new Yamaha. I have owned several Yamahas in the last 10 years or so and they were all GREAT bikes.

I checked out ODR's website, and it is $60. That's not bad, I THINK the old permits were 50 for a year? Can't remember. I was thinking about the 10 a day, that could get pricey if you were retarded and didn't buy the year permit. I used to love riding the old Draper, was fun to just go wherever you felt like.

Arbuckle "Mountains" aren't too far from me, not even an hour (the way I drive haha). I bet there are some good places to ride in the SE corner of the state, like around Beaver's Bend.

I can't wait until tomorrow to go pick it up, I'm stoked. This will by my first Yamaha bike. I own a Honda CBR now, and have had Suzukis and Kawasakis, figured it was time for a Yammi. I've read a lot of good stuff about the YZ-f bikes too.

Where are you originally from, timvv?

Just moved over from Amarillo Tex. Going to miss poppin over to New Mexico or Colorado in half a day. Now its going to be a full day of driving to get to my favorite places. I agree with you. Supposed to be some pretty good riding in SE Oklahoma.

I lived in TX for a while, down near Beaumont. I'm originally from Atlanta. I moved here in '99 I think it was, that was when I was in the Navy. Been stuck here ever since haha.

So I went and picked up my YZ today, can't wait to go ride it. While I was there I picked something else up for the wife as well.

IMG_2245.jpg

IMG_2246.jpg

Tryin to remember how to post a picAnteroAugust03068.jpg There we go. Thats at Marshall pass Colorado

Haha, nice group picture. Looks like a lively bunch! haha

That Moab pic, where you're going up the hill, THAT looks like a hell of a lot of fun.

Have you seen over by I-35 and SW15th where they ride by the river? Thinking about heading over there Thursday afternoon for a quick romp on the YZ. There used to be a place like that over by where they built that Dell building off I-44, but not anymore haha. I wish we had good places close to here to go ride, one reason I hate Oklahoma. That and there are NO turns for when I'm on my streetbike.

I have heard about that place at the river. Give me a ride report if you get over there. I have been real curious about it too. I looked it up on Google Earth but it didnt look very good. Let me know please.

Yeah I will. It's probably not as good as Draper, but it's free and it's close. If I remember I'll try to take my cam with me and get a few pictures.

I dont think I would waste my time at the river. I drive down 23rd when I go to my private track and it always looks like a couch-dust fest. You should just hit up draper.

Blood - Oh I plan on getting a pass to draper, def the best place we have to ride around here, best place for trails at least. I was just going to go by the river since it was close, free, and I could be in and out pretty quick. I'm going to take the wife with me, and she has VERY little experience. I don't want to take her to draper until she gets a bit more comfortable on her bike. This weekend I'll probably go to draper.

dr. z - You'd better keep up man!! haha

This talk about the Canadian River made me nostalgic. Here is a pic of me a few years back at the Canadian River just north of Amarillo Texas (same river that runs thru OKC). It is a great place to ride. The riding area is only two miles wide but about 60 miles long. Tons of hills and cliffs and and tight twisty stuff and wide open river bed. You name it. There is a spot where a clear water spring runs and you can stop and fill up with water. Ride all day and never ride the same thing or see another person. Its a shame we dont have something like that around here. tim7.jpg

Sounds like a blast man, looks pretty fun too. I've only been riding dirt since I've been here in Oklahomo, and haven't been able to get any place else. Going back home to Atlanta in a couple months, contemplating whether or not to take the bikes. I'm sure there are a TON of fun places back there.

Perhaps one of these weekends we'll have to get together and ride, seeing as how I don't have anybody to ride with except the wife, and she's about as novice as you can get haha.

OK ITZBAH you name the Saturday or Just about any time cept thursday and Friday afternoon and I can run you with you guys and girls down to the CrossBar. I'll run thru moore and we can cruise down there and I GAURANTEE it will be good terrrain for us slow people. Dont you think so 04DRZ.

Course Joe dont like rocks, Huh 04drz. He said "now I know where all the Rocks in OK went" but I dont think its that rocky. Go to Taylor Park CO. and yoy will see what rocky is.

Now there is an idea, Maybe somebody with a toyhauler will plan a ride to CO! Otherwise I will just have to go and stay in the CABINS! Check out

Cabins at Taylor Park on google.com. Cheap and center of the best riding in the Lower 48.. Here is a pic from American Flag Mountain. Its just south of Italian Peak.TaylerLess018.jpg

Cross Bar was nice. Draper is ok. doenst matter to me, let's ride wooohoo I got my new battery charged and installed, so bike is ready.

The "rocks I don't like" are them fist sized loose ones that seem to want a up close look at the tank lol