Sign in to follow this  

83' Z50R stator and wiring harness

i have a Z50R and i am just curious on where i could find a wiring harness? also, i didnt have a stator for it when i first got it from my uncle. and i looked all over and waited a while on ebay to see if i could find one, then i seen one on a site, where it said it would work on both the Z50 and Z50R, but it didnt say how it would, it just said with slight modification, well, im not sure what that is, so, im wondering if someone had an idea.

The 1983 Z50R has a 6V points ignition. Anything that advertises 12V CDI will not work on your 83 without major modifications. Case work, different crank, covers, and wiring. So unless you're willing to do that, you need a 6V point stator plate. These are not made by any aftermarket companies as far as I know. You will just need to keep an eye out on eBay to get the right one. All stators from 1980-1987 Z50Rs will work without any modification or special parts or tools. Just bolt in stuff.

Now, the 1980-1987 Z50Rs didn't have much of a wiring harness. There were the only wires that existed were part of something at one end or the other. No wires had connectors at both ends. IE, there was no central loom of wires. wires were permanently attached to the stator, which connected to the wires permanently attached to the coil and the wires permanently attaced to the kill switch. So there was nothing in between. So from what I understand, if you get a complete stator plate, with points, condenser, generator coil, and wires, you should be able to plug it in and go if it's all in good condition.

So if I got an after market stator plate it is probably a 12V? It has a lighting coil on it. Can I run the bike without a CDI? My son bought an 83 Z50R, took the motor out and put into one of those rolling frames that have a CDI box/harness. He had to do some grinding for the stator plate to fit. He has a fit but I can't get the plug to fire after hooking up the harness. The stator had the following color wires Blue/White, Yellow, White, Green, Black/Yellow. Could I bypass the CDI and go straight to the coil? What wires on the stator harness should I use?

email me oldnavygunner03@yahoo.com

Best

Dale