Sign in to follow this  

Sayonara, 250F!

Well, after researching the maintainance costs of a thumper, I decided to sell it. I loved the bike but I just cant afford to spend $700 every couple of years to rebuild the topend. It was to the point where I was afraid to rev my bike out like its needs to be revved, so I knew it was just time to sell it. I wasnt even really enjoying the bike because I was always afraid I might be overrevving it.

I had given up on motocross completely, but lately Ive been thinking about trying to find a used 125 and giving that a shot. I would be rebuilding the engine more often, but I think that even a 125 would be cheaper to own than a 250F. So what if I have to rebuild the topend once or twice a year. Its what, like $100 for a new topend?

Anybody else sold their 4-stroke because the ownership cost was too expensive?

• Like 1

Wow !

If you're giving up at $700 in two years, the future does not look good for you . $700 should be easy to save up in two years. It's 29 dollars a month. I buy bikes on the credit plan and keep them pristine and sell them before the second years models come out. Pay off the loan and do it again ! You might look into that. It keeps me in new bikes without having to keep them long enough to face the major overhauls.

Good luck !

STS.

What do you ride now? I'd go with a KTM

As of now, nothing. Im going to wait a couple years and hopefully pick up a good used YZ 125. Im still very much a novice rider, so I think a 250 smoker is a bit more bike than I can handle. I figure I should be able to pick up a nice 2 or 3 year old 125 for $2000.

Wow !

If you're giving up at $700 in two years, the future does not look good for you .

Well, I'll tell you what. I can handle spending $100 every year for a new topend in a 2-stroke and whole lot easier than spending at least $700 for a 4-stroke.

Even if I had to rebuild the entire engine of a 2-stroke it shouldnt be over $200. Thats a lot cheaper than the $2000+ to completely rebuild a 4-stroke.

Unlike some people, Im not rich and I dont as of yet I dont have a factory ride.

I honestly dont see how people can afford to race MX with a 4-stroke. They must have a lot deeper pockets than I do.

i highly suggest getting a 250 smoker. its a lot easier taming a 250 (and cheaper!) than it is making a 125 more powerful. and BTW welcome to the club, i ditched my 06 250SX-F for a 98 KX250 and have 0 regreats!!!

Buy a 250 smoker, and you'll never look back. Plus, there's plenty of mid range to keep you smiling.

I dunno about a 250 smoker. Ive ridden snowmobiles all my life (right now I ride a 120 hp Polaris 600 and am bored by the power) and this past summer I had an '06 Yamaha YFZ 450 that I rode on a friend's MX track. Once I got used to the quad I was doing 60' jumps pretty easily. (once I mastered using the clutch and shifting I got bored with it) However, Im not sure if a 250 smoker would be too much for me.

Im still VERY much a novice rider and I think that I would get killed if I tried to race in a 250 class. Even in 250 C I think Id get massacred. I also look at it like if I can run with a bunch of kids on 250Fs while Im on a 125, I can run with anyone.

Im not trying to bash the 4-stroke guys. If thats what works for you, cool. Im just saying that I dont think I could have afforded the long-term maintenance costs of a thumper. I dont care what you ride: 4-stroke, 2-stroke; as long as you ride I will think you are cool.

Ha! For one, I dont do Hondas. For two, if I dont think I can handle a 250 how in the heck am I going to be able to handle a 500!?!

As of now, nothing. Im going to wait a couple years and hopefully pick up a good used YZ 125.

Aw man - get something with 2 wheels... don't have to be a track bike, or even a great bike - just ride 2 wheels. People get better at riding the more they ride and its FUN!

As of now, nothing.

So... you sold your 250F to ride a new nothing? If I wanted to ride, I ride what I could rather than sitting on a straw bale watching.

Ha! For one, I dont do Hondas. For two, if I dont think I can handle a 250 how in the heck am I going to be able to handle a 500!?!

My 14 year old rides a cr 250....If its too fast for you you can gear it down and make it slower...you dont have to open the throttle all the way...throttle control..! In a short amount of time ,youll get used to the power. A 250 2 stroke is the answer.

Aw man - get something with 2 wheels... don't have to be a track bike, or even a great bike - just ride 2 wheels. People get better at riding the more they ride and its FUN!

So... you sold your 250F to ride a new nothing? If I wanted to ride, I ride what I could rather than sitting on a straw bale watching.

Who knows, maybe when Im at the track this year I will come upon a deal I cant refuse on a 125/250. One of the guys I ride with bought a '01 CR 125 last year for $1100.

I wasnt really all that serious about selling my 250F. I listed it on Ebay for more than it was really worth and these 2 kids gave me what I was asking. I got more for it than it cost me to buy in the first place, so I cant complain.

pick up a used 2002-2006 125 for about $1500-$2000 and youll be very happy with it:thumbsup:

hold on let me get this straight...you are not rich, but you have a snowmobile, and had a 2006 250f?

and i dont think a 2T rebuild is $100, and 4T rebuild is not quite $700. plus you need to rebuild 2 strokes much more..

What about CR500?

thats where im going if my 450R ever grenades. ill pull the 450 out and mount the 500 in my 03 frame ... woo hoo :applause: