Sayonara, 250F!

Well, after researching the maintainance costs of a thumper, I decided to sell it. I loved the bike but I just cant afford to spend $700 every couple of years to rebuild the topend. It was to the point where I was afraid to rev my bike out like its needs to be revved, so I knew it was just time to sell it. I wasnt even really enjoying the bike because I was always afraid I might be overrevving it.

I had given up on motocross completely, but lately Ive been thinking about trying to find a used 125 and giving that a shot. I would be rebuilding the engine more often, but I think that even a 125 would be cheaper to own than a 250F. So what if I have to rebuild the topend once or twice a year. Its what, like $100 for a new topend?

Anybody else sold their 4-stroke because the ownership cost was too expensive?

• Like 1

Wow !

If you're giving up at $700 in two years, the future does not look good for you . $700 should be easy to save up in two years. It's 29 dollars a month. I buy bikes on the credit plan and keep them pristine and sell them before the second years models come out. Pay off the loan and do it again ! You might look into that. It keeps me in new bikes without having to keep them long enough to face the major overhauls.

Good luck !

STS.

What do you ride now? I'd go with a KTM

As of now, nothing. Im going to wait a couple years and hopefully pick up a good used YZ 125. Im still very much a novice rider, so I think a 250 smoker is a bit more bike than I can handle. I figure I should be able to pick up a nice 2 or 3 year old 125 for $2000.

Wow !

If you're giving up at $700 in two years, the future does not look good for you .

Well, I'll tell you what. I can handle spending $100 every year for a new topend in a 2-stroke and whole lot easier than spending at least $700 for a 4-stroke.

Even if I had to rebuild the entire engine of a 2-stroke it shouldnt be over $200. Thats a lot cheaper than the $2000+ to completely rebuild a 4-stroke.

Unlike some people, Im not rich and I dont as of yet I dont have a factory ride.

I honestly dont see how people can afford to race MX with a 4-stroke. They must have a lot deeper pockets than I do.

I dunno about a 250 smoker. Ive ridden snowmobiles all my life (right now I ride a 120 hp Polaris 600 and am bored by the power) and this past summer I had an '06 Yamaha YFZ 450 that I rode on a friend's MX track. Once I got used to the quad I was doing 60' jumps pretty easily. (once I mastered using the clutch and shifting I got bored with it) However, Im not sure if a 250 smoker would be too much for me.

Im still VERY much a novice rider and I think that I would get killed if I tried to race in a 250 class. Even in 250 C I think Id get massacred. I also look at it like if I can run with a bunch of kids on 250Fs while Im on a 125, I can run with anyone.

Im not trying to bash the 4-stroke guys. If thats what works for you, cool. Im just saying that I dont think I could have afforded the long-term maintenance costs of a thumper. I dont care what you ride: 4-stroke, 2-stroke; as long as you ride I will think you are cool.

As of now, nothing. Im going to wait a couple years and hopefully pick up a good used YZ 125.

Aw man - get something with 2 wheels... don't have to be a track bike, or even a great bike - just ride 2 wheels. People get better at riding the more they ride and its FUN!

Ha! For one, I dont do Hondas. For two, if I dont think I can handle a 250 how in the heck am I going to be able to handle a 500!?!

My 14 year old rides a cr 250....If its too fast for you you can gear it down and make it slower...you dont have to open the throttle all the way...throttle control..! In a short amount of time ,youll get used to the power. A 250 2 stroke is the answer.

Aw man - get something with 2 wheels... don't have to be a track bike, or even a great bike - just ride 2 wheels. People get better at riding the more they ride and its FUN!

So... you sold your 250F to ride a new nothing? If I wanted to ride, I ride what I could rather than sitting on a straw bale watching.

Who knows, maybe when Im at the track this year I will come upon a deal I cant refuse on a 125/250. One of the guys I ride with bought a '01 CR 125 last year for $1100.

I wasnt really all that serious about selling my 250F. I listed it on Ebay for more than it was really worth and these 2 kids gave me what I was asking. I got more for it than it cost me to buy in the first place, so I cant complain.