Sign in to follow this  

Lighting stator help needed

My buddy installed a Moose lighting coil stator on his 93 cr250 and now the bike don't run. The plug will spark but only if you give the starter a real good boot, but no spark at low RPM. When it does spark it has a nice strong blue spark, but it has to be spinning too fast to make it run.:applause: Why would it spark at a high RPM but not at a lower RPM that would be typical of a kick start?

My buddy installed a Moose lighting coil stator on his 93 cr250 and now the bike don't run. The plug will spark but only if you give the starter a real good boot, but no spark at low RPM. When it does spark it has a nice strong blue spark, but it has to be spinning too fast to make it run.:applause: Why would it spark at a high RPM but not at a lower RPM that would be typical of a kick start?

1st why did he put this on? Was he having problems before? If it is to add a light, that should be a seperate wire right? Make sure the wire for lighting is not grounding out. Make sure all wires are connected good and paired correctly. Also make sure that where the stator mounts up, that it was cleaned up good as to have a good grounding surface.

Good Luck. :applause:

Yeah he wanted to add a light, the bike ran fine before installing the lighting coil. There are four wires, the yellow one is for lighting, one is ground and the other two are color matched to the OEM harness. We tryed reversing the two wires like it said to do in the installation instructions, but that produced no spark at all. I'll have him clean the stator mounting surface real good, we've already double checked connections and everything seems in order there.