Sign in to follow this  

How good are the YZ125's in the woods?

OK... I just bought a new CRF450 and im kinda getting to realize that that bike is a big PIA for the woods. I have a 2005 YZ125, currently set up for mx Im just wondering how good these bikes are in the trails when set up properly. Currently somebody offered me a trade for a 03 250F plus like 300. Do you think the 250F would be a better woods bike?? Im just trying to hear opinions from people with some first hand expierience with the 125's in the woods.

Thanks

:applause:

I always hear people recomending 250's if your riding in the woods, but ya know what?, 125's do just fine. My bro has a 93 YZ125, its old, but it has the torque to lug over roots and do off-idle wheelies just like any enduro Ive ridden. The lightness and snappy throttle balance out the "lack" of grunt compared to a thumper, but if you are agressive in any way, they are hella fast and way too fun in the trails.

Only way I see it could be bad is if you are just wanting to plonk along or do 100+ mile rides.

i use my 98' yz125 for antthing an evrything, i have a clarke tank on it and you can climb any hill you want and its easy to throw around, i have gone on 100+ mile rides

Yeah I hear that the 250 is ideal for woods, and the 125 is not so good because for its lack of "luggability". Keep the responses comin! Does anybody run a heavy flywheel on there 125? How much would that help?

dont even bother with the flywheel, just rev it dump the clutch, rev, dump the clutch, i dont know, works for me :applause:

i would not ride anything but a 125 in the woods. it is so light and flickable yet the yz has the torque for the really tight stuff. i love 125's period. especially in the woods!

A lot of people who set up 2-strokes for the woods recommend a heavier flywheel (supposedly makes it stall less).

i love riding 125s in the tight and technical almost more than an 85. but i will ride whatever i can get my hands on. i have ridden 4strokes in the woods and unless its like an xr80 were you can just pick it up in a sticky situation i dont feel that they are light enough to just pick up and start like a 2smoker. jus my 2 cents.

i love riding 125s in the tight and technical almost more than an 85. but i will ride whatever i can get my hands on. i have ridden 4strokes in the woods and unless its like an xr80 were you can just pick it up in a sticky situation i dont feel that they are light enough to just pick up and start like a 2smoker. jus my 2 cents.

The weight of the 4-stroke is kinda one of the reasons why I dont like it in the woods. I was riding the other day, and my 450 was sliding all over the place. The front wheel slide off the trail going up a hill, so i had to stop and move it over or else i would go into a tree. After i toped i lost all momentum, but it wasnt really a steep hill to where you need that much momentum. Long story short, my 450 was slipping to much to get up the hill and i ended up basically carrying it up the hills.

125s are good for the woods, although they dont have the power to make a flywheel weight a worthwhile mod, flywheel weights are used to make big powerful bikes more managable, if you are wanting to use the flywheel weight to make it resist stalls, i would reccomend practice, you will lose some snap with the weight not worth it unless you are riding a huge powerful bike. but i would reccoment keeping the bike those yz125s are excelent woods bikes unless you are a big guy or a very aggressive and fast rider. keep it

Don't know but i think the 125 would be great in the woods. I rode with a couple of guys on cr500 out in the hills, and we got into some forest sections and they both just tore it up leaving me in the dust on my 250f. All i can say it that i am getting a 250 two stoke so i can keep up.

I bought my 125 for the woods and love it. I was going to buy a flywheel weight, but someone much wiser than i told me that the 125 turns better if you let it loose:thumbsup:

Stay with the lighter weight 125 and be happy:thumbsup: , very happy:thumbsup: :applause:

the yz125 is a great woods bike. tons of torque. very light and flickable. Dont bother with a flywheel weight. its gunna do nothing but slow it down. just use the clutch and ul be fine. Me and a buddy ride double black diamonds on our 125s no problem.

The main advantage of a 250F is when you are climbing a rough hill and have to let off the gas. It has the low end to keep going, whereas it can be an issue with a 125. Clutching and revving sometimes work, but on a steep hill it can be a handful. It's also easier to lift the front wheel at low speeds with the 250. My son has a KTM 125 and I have a YZ250F and if you asked me which I prefer, it would depend on the day of the week and phase of the moon. They're just about equally fun for different reasons. One thing about the 250F is the nagging fear of a catastrophic mechanical failure that will cost half the price of the bike to fix. You don't have that concern with the 125.

The 125s work just fine for trails and such, you just adapt to the bike a little, know when to clucth it or ride more aggressively. They are lots of fun.

When I was at the local hare scramble track this weekend, the second fastest person out there was on an 06 yz 125. As long as you know how to keep it pinned, a 125 will keep up with any bike in the woods.

Guy I ride with sometimes is on an old YZ125 (white & red, high pipe, late 80's maybe). It'll vibrate a lever or some other small item off once in a while but in between trail side fixes, he flys on that thing.

the 125 is great in the woods, i like it better than my 250f, just because its easy to start for a good holeshot, you can dump it and pick it up and start it right away

yep. My 06 yz125 is sweet in the woods. I ride last man standing trails all day.Up down rocks roots mud creeks. Gear it down and throw on the rekluse.I also got a clarke tank, rad skid guards, moose pegs and throttle tube , and mountain motorsport lowering link. Keep fresh rubber on the bike too. I'm 5'4 160lbs 29yrs and this bike will love me long time!!!