Sign in to follow this  

Cam question

Hey guys took my bike apart tonight to check my valves and when I had my motor totally rebuilt the guy who did it for me stuck the exhaust cam back in one tooth off. If you sitting looking at the ignition side of the bike the exhaust cam was rotated counter clockwise one tooth so that the dot's don't line up. Is that advancing or retarding it and what would that have done for my power? It's been really weak on bottom and I'm hoping this could be part of my problem.

BFS

It depends on which direction it was off 1 tooth, so the exhaust valves could be opening too soon and closing too soon, or opening too late and closing too late. I would think, that if you were off 1 tooth, there would be a major preformance drop, and the motor would barely run...

Honda Rider, that is not exactly correct. Your YZ is now WR timed, WR riders have been changing their timing by 1 tooth for years now with no ill effects.

To answer the original question, yes you have lost some power as a result and if you don't like it then you should put it back. As a rule of thumb if your bike is older than 03 and is running stock cams then you want 12 pins between the two top timing marks on the cam gears for YZ timing. If there are 13 pins then you are WR timed, I don't know if you actually lose power with the WR timing, but you do lose that YZ Punch. Hope this helps.

Josh

The cam is not the only thing retarded!

Thanks guys I never thought of it in regards to the mistake made was the same as the old wr timing mod. I'm surprised though that my auto decompression still worked.