Sign in to follow this  

My last couple of 2 stroke questions

Depends what kind of riding you do.

Trail riding 40 to 60 hr.

MX riding 25 to 40 hr.

These are just EST!

Top-ends last in direct relation to how well you maintain the motor (proper jetting, etc.) and how careful you are with your pre-mix. Get careless with either and you can count on a shorter life span of your top-end.

The biggest difference to me (2 vs. 4 stroke) is torque, where in the rpm range the greatest power is made and compression braking.

it seems that the 4 stroke revolution has tarnished the smokers. they run as long as a thumper, it's just people are afraid of the "hit". majority of us dont race and just ride for fun, so there is no reason to ride a thumper unless of course its plated.

Also, what aftermarket pipe should I run if I want to get a good power increase, but still want to keep it quiet? Is Pro cicuit any good.

i got 300+ hours out of my 125 top end, mind you that was trail riding with rich jetting

300 hrs... does an hr meter last that long:excuseme:

nope, i put the plus there because i did a superman impression halfway through a ride and the meter came with me :applause:

A 125 2 stroke rebuild should be around 50 hours or sooner. I have read about guys yz250 2t's pistons shattering (in this forum) b/c of leaving the piston in too long.

a 250f should be around 80 hours

If you maintain a 4t and 2t properly I think that they will be rather close to eachother for costs.

Pistons and gaskets for a 250f are just over a $100 US for my bike (OEM from service honda) and 2t ones are probably not much more or less.

IDK about that one ^^^^^. I've seen places that sell weisco pro-lites for around $60:thumbsup:

IDK about that one ^^^^^. I've seen places that sell weisco pro-lites for around $60:thumbsup:

you got a sick bike!!

The ProLite kit (Cometic gaskets, wrist pin, etc. included) for my CR250 was $112 with shipping. The 125 kit would probably cost a little less. That's not bad for everything needed.

no way 300 hrs, it can't possibly be true? :applause::applause:

Dont know about 125,s but my 03 300mxc has never been apart. Not the top end, clutch nothing and it has been ridden alot in the last 4 years and still runs like new.

id say every 45-50 hours.....thats how much my friends waits to change em outta his 125smoker....there only like 50 bucks per piston so its not that bad:ride:

Dunno how long they last. You'll know when it goes because the kick starter will feel weak when you kick it over, and it will be less powerful. The biggest difference between a 2 stroke and 4 stroke is the 2 stroke is more unpredictable and more likely to plant you on your head. My friend's KX 125 also had no low end at all, but once you get it cranking it flies. Oh yeah, they're easier to start when you do get planted on your head.

Are you riding track or trail?

I've only been riding about a year, and 90% trail, so I'm curous why you would get more hours out of a trail bike than a track bike. Typically, the trail bikes I've seen are WAY more beat than the pretty bikes I see at the track. The trail conditions I've encountered far more damaging conditions than those on the track.

Are you riding track or trail?

I've only been riding about a year, and 90% trail, so I'm curous why you would get more hours out of a trail bike than a track bike. Typically, the trail bikes I've seen are WAY more beat than the pretty bikes I see at the track. The trail conditions I've encountered far more damaging conditions than those on the track.

I ride at Prarie City 80% of the time (all trails and a small track), but I plant to go to the sand a lot now that I got my license--which leads me to another question--how will a 125 do in the sand?

I am a "fast" trail rider tho, if that makes a difference.

I ride at Prarie City 80% of the time (all trails and a small track), but I plant to go to the sand a lot now that I got my license--which leads me to another question--how will a 125 do in the sand?

I am a "fast" trail rider tho, if that makes a difference.

As far as sand? Not good. You'll have to hold that thing wide open everywhere. I know you should run the bike rich when in the sand but I don't know exactly what to do....prolly go up a size or two on the main jet maybe make your premix richer. And if you ride in the sand alot, you'll have to change top-ends more frequently.