Sign in to follow this  

countershaft seal leak

Hi,guys,I have a 05 300mxc and just noticed my countershaft seal is leaking whenthe bike is on its stand. Is this something that I can replace from the outside or does the engine need disassembled for repair? Do I stay with OEM parts or does somebody make something gooder for my bike? Any help or advice is very much appreciated! Thanx :applause:

try taking the front sprocket out and spray some break cleaner to clean it. may just be some mud.

Happened to me once and it worked, never leaked since.

they're easy to replace. just remove the sprocket and use a small screw driver or something with a curved point to pop the old one in. then install the new one and use a big socket to press it in evenly.

but trying cleaning it 1st like was posted already.

If cleaning it doesn't do the trick, the next cheapest and easiest fix is to try an O-ring from a newer model. At least on the 125, the O-ring was made slightly fatter in 2006 because of that problem. Did it to my son's '02 125 and solved the problem.

They get dirty and often times cleaning will fix it. Remove the CS sprocket, you may have to take the chain off to do it. Take the sleeve out of the center. Use a qtip to get the seal clean. Buff the sleeve with FINE emory cloth. Use a bent paper clip to get the o-ring out of the hole, there is also a shim in the hole, just make sure it is still there when you put it back together. If that doesnt do it then here is a link to how to do it on a 200 http://ktmtalk.com/index.php?showtopic=138418&hl=