2007 KTM 450XC or WRF450

Thinking of getting a 2007 KTM 450 XC or WRF450.

Currently riding a 2004 YZ450F. Need a little more top speed on the open gravel roads and sometimes in the desert. Ride 20 percent track, 50 percent trail/tight trail, and 30 percent road/desert. KTM looks great, comes with all the extras, but worried that the XC or WRF might be too "Enduro". I've always ridden Motorcross bikes, even for trail riding. Anybody have any advice if the WRF will be better suited, or the KTM?

Thanks

Well the XC's tranny is more suited for MX than the WR. It's really more "race ready" than the WR in almost any given situation really. The WR is better suited for enduro stuff just because it has lighting, but that's an easy fix for the XC. Both are great bikes, but neither are really MX bikes as they have softer suspensions. If your looking for something to do what you want though, they will both fit the bill. Personaly, I would get the XC and throw some lights on it.

Thanks so much, that really helps in the choice. I was leaning towards the KTM. Do you think the XC will have enought hit compared to the YZ450,?

I was thinking maybye get the 525 xc, and change the tank and seat to make it identical to the 450xc. the 525 gets too big because of the tank and seat. Did some part # cross references on line, but Going to check with local dealer to see if the 525 has any other differences in engine or tranny (compared to the 450xc). looks like the part #'s for the subframe, airbox, and frame are the same, so the 525 should be able to accept the 450xc tank and plastic. Thanks for your input !

Just made the move last year from the 06 wr 450 to the 07 KTM 450xcw. For my style of riding and what I like the KTM blows the Yamer away. Lots of reasons but mobility and confort were the big ones. Plus the KTM is close to 20lbs lighter. I ride a lot of tight single track and some open fire roads. Buy the KTM!!:applause:

I have been riding an 06 XC450 for about a year now. The XC has significantly more hit than the KTM 450 EXC, and I assume it has more than the WR as well. I believe it has less 'hit' than the YZ450, however the bike really hooks up and I do not get pulled by the YZF450 in most cases. The YZ's hit is better for the immediate response required to get over quick/slow speed double jump situations in moto. I would think twice about the 525. It has a plenty of torque but I believe the 450xc is a better all around mount, especially when the trails get tight. The 6 speed will give yu most all of the top end you will need. Go 450 XC!

Thinking of getting a 2007 KTM 450 XC or WRF450.

Currently riding a 2004 YZ450F. Need a little more top speed on the open gravel roads and sometimes in the desert. Ride 20 percent track, 50 percent trail/tight trail, and 30 percent road/desert. KTM looks great, comes with all the extras, but worried that the XC or WRF might be too "Enduro". I've always ridden Motorcross bikes, even for trail riding. Anybody have any advice if the WRF will be better suited, or the KTM?

Thanks

The 450xc is not geared more for moto, it's a great all around tranny. I race desert on that bike with stock gearing, and it flat rips at top speed which I don't usually need. Both are good bikes, I have ridden the new WR, and it's nice, very YZ like. With a few mods you can make the WR like the YZ. Both bikes are good for trail riding, and I think the XC has more chug down low than the WR. I do run the HTRacing header and power vane which really helps the motor come alive. I will tell you that WR will be more stable at speed, that is inherent with Yamahas. I have spent a lot of time with my KTM dialing in the suspension and alot of money. My final step will be Infinty sub tanks and new specially designed pistons for the forks. The WR will be less work setting up the suspension.

BTW....I owned two YZF's before my KTM, both set up for desert racing, they were both better at speed, and the KTM is better in tight technical stuff.

I'm going to mention that the 525XC and 450XC have some significant differences. The 525 is basically the old 525MXC and has a close ratio gear box and (I believe) very similar suspension to the EXC. The 450XC has a special "semi-close" ratio tranny (low 1st and 2nd, close ratio 3-6 gears), and fully adjustable suspension from the 450SX (but softer). The 525XC is primarily a desert racer, the 450XC was designed to be an agressive enduro that can go to an MX track. I think the comment about the 450XC being geared for MX true, but both desert racers and MX racers like close ratios (the final drive ratio is different by using different sprockets). For trail riding/enduro I like wide ratio boxes, but the 450XC is a pretty good compromise.