Sign in to follow this  

SM 17" - best tyres for rocky trails?

Hopefully picking up the SM this week. 2006 model.

I'd welcome your recommendations for the best 17" to fit the stock SM rims.

Looking at 25% road / 75% trail. The trail is mainly rocky desert, dirt tracks, drizabone, with the odd sharp flint, lots of loose stone and some isolated gravel and sand stretches. No mud whatsoever.

Punctures are not an option.. I know I'm looking for tough hardwearing tyres/tubes but I don't know what fits :applause:

The pic gives an idea of the typical terrain:

green2-1.jpg

Sounds like you really need an E or S model instead of an SM.

If there was either model available here I'd consider buying it. But there isn't. Hence the question. I also got the 2006 SM at 40% discount.

So, can anybody recommend suitable tyres/sizes/tubes?

I looked at the TKC 80 but I don't think it is the best compound for desert runs and the front looks oversize.

R

If that is what you are going to ride in, I would just get new tires, rims, etc...

Set up the new ones (from and E or an S) with suitable tires.

You want that oversize on the front to absourb impacts. The rears are easy it's the fronts that are hard to get. For the rear look at the Michelin desert, for the front maybe a 120/90/17 Pirelli MT21. Or you could go with a set of Pirelli MT60-R Corsa's. I run those for winter tire and they work for me.

Thanks Forewarned, very helpful. I have been looking at the Pirellis but wondered if the compound was a bit soft for rock. I'll check out the Michelins.

You should sell sm wheels and go for some dirt setup 21/18.

By doing this you could have more fun, save some money and maybe even save your life.

You should sell sm wheels and go for some dirt setup 21/18.

By doing this you could have more fun, save some money and maybe even save your life.

If you can get the 21 and 18 inch wheels that will be much better...17 inch wheels for what you are doing will be horrible at best...If you are American serving there you should keep your eye open for wheelsets on Ebay and ship them through your APO/FPO or Pouch address.

Looks like a bada$$ place to ride! send some more pics!

+ on 18" & 21" wheels I would say thats the way to go. even if you ride on the deathwings it wont be too bad, I rode on some for about 500miles out in arizona desert, wasnt too slipery, not like here in Florida... Deathwings just dont work at all.

I will send you a set of stock DRZ E/S wheels for your SM wheels... then you can run any combo you want!! :applause: