Sign in to follow this  

dirty oil

Hi guys, recently bought second hand a TE250 and noticed first oil change oil very dirty. I changed the filter and cleaned the gauze filters. 2nd oil change after 2 rides and 4hrs riding just as dirty !!! Doesnt seem right to me. I guess its mostly from the clutch but hasn't been ridden that hard. The gear oil in my KTM stroker is clean after 6 rides. I'm running semi synthetic motul 10 -50 wt. I dont like dirty oil tells me theres wear going on. What do you recond ?

Its dark but also a silvery metallic swirl too it, what I normally associate with clutch wear ? When I got the bike the valves were tight , could the valves be not seating properly and blowing crap from the combustion chamber into the oil or is it just normal ?

If its an 04 then start monitoring the valve clearances,if its 05 or later they are much better in the valve department,there was some posts about rivets in the clutch wearing and putting out some particles,try a search on clutch in this section,hope its not somethink serious.

Its dark but also a silvery metallic swirl too it, what I normally associate with clutch wear ? When I got the bike the valves were tight , could the valves be not seating properly and blowing crap from the combustion chamber into the oil or is it just normal ?

Im using Silkolene oil that comes out dark red I use a magnet to check for any metal wear I've recently had the clutch out and measured all the plates to find hardly any wear at all after 6K.:applause:

Have you drained the oil till its nearly dry changed the paper filter and cleaned the 3 gauzes ?

If the valves are not seating it will make the bike run rough or not start this should not affect the oil colour. If the exhaust is smoking due to burning oil that will make it very dark and could be worn Piston and Rings.

Now I've rechecked the valve clearances after 4 hrs riding and 2 have closed up again, what do they make valve seats out of ? cheese ? There is clearance but but not within tolerance. At this rate I'm spending more time on maintenance than I am riding. Better settle down soon or strokers here we come again.

I agree...a little dirt will destroy. If you ride in extreme conditions, (even if you don't),install some filters on your carb vent tubes. I've been reading that the fine particles that enter the vents can cause pre mature valve wear overtime and even damage the piston. $20 from kevinscycle.com is cheap insurance. Don't get too frustrated with the valves...many of us have replaced them and are happy...now

The PC set up looks good. The one I ordered from Kevinscycles came with five seperate filters, three were routed down low and the two intake were routed up under the tank. I like how the PC routes to a central location. Anything to keep the dirt out. Thanks for the link. It makes me wonder why the factory doesn't install some kind of filter? Is the non filtered air coming through the vent tubes really enough to cause damage? I'm pretty paranoid about dirt in the system, so I figured for $20, why not try it.