Sign in to follow this  

Blown Clutch

As I'm racing up a hill today, I hear a god awful sound comming from the engine when I clutch it in a tight spot. I didnt think anything of it at the time and continued to ride for another hour. Then all of a sudden my tranny gets stuck in 1st and I had to kick the shifter (with the bike on the ground) to break it loose.

I disassembled the clutch and found that the 3rd friction plate was broke, Wosrt part is that peices are missing.

Do replace the clutch and change the oil? Or take the engine to the shop and have them crack it to make sure all the metal is out? Taking it to the shop I immagine will be expensive.

If you've got any other ideas, Im all ears. Right now Im thinking I will change the clutch and drain the trans oil after every ride for a while to hopefully get ride of metal particles that are getting chewed by the gears.

I will try to post some pics, If I can find my camera...

Thanks

this happened on my '02 rm125. I just changed the oil a whole bunch and rode it with the new clutch in. I don't think the flimsy clutch plates are strong enough to hurt your transmission. just put in a new clutch, fresh oil and run it for 3 minutes to stir up the oil and then drain. Do it maybe two times, then ride it for an hour or so and change it again. worked for me. (it was even the 3rd plate)

check your basket for deep notches, this would keep the plate from engaging all the way.

that's posible but I was thinking your basket could of been bad and caused clutch slip.