Sign in to follow this  

Engine problems 525 smr

Finished building the KTM motor last night. HT racing 98mm high copmression piston,hot cam, port and polished the head. Took half the day today to get her back together after kicking for at least an hour ****ing thing wouldn't start . Checked the valve lash it was good. Did a compression test (just in case I broke a ring) It was good. Tore the top end off again to check the timing it was good. Has good spark also. Put a cap full of fuel down the plug hole kick it about 20 times and it fired up. Put it all back together and Guess what NO start again. So now I am getting pissed off pulled the plug again dumped more fuel in the hole fired her back up and let her run for 10 min or so. Turned it off let it cool down now she runs great starts on the first kick. Any ideas on what would cause this?

Finished building the KTM motor last night. HT racing 98mm high copmression piston,hot cam, port and polished the head. Took half the day today to get her back together after kicking for at least an hour ****ing thing wouldn't start . Checked the valve lash it was good. Did a compression test (just in case I broke a ring) It was good. Tore the top end off again to check the timing it was good. Has good spark also. Put a cap full of fuel down the plug hole kick it about 20 times and it fired up. Put it all back together and Guess what NO start again. So now I am getting pissed off pulled the plug again dumped more fuel in the hole fired her back up and let her run for 10 min or so. Turned it off let it cool down now she runs great starts on the first kick. Any ideas on what would cause this?

How much compression did it have? good is not the answer, lbs per sq inch!

Does it idle OK when running?

I have had similar experiance with an engine that had very low compresion. Or is the idle settings so far off that it can't draw fuel in at kicking speeds

It was the new cam, the hole for the auto decompression shaft was just a little to big ,was getting bound up and not letting the exhaust valve fully close. Took the auto decompression shaft out and the bike runs great.

:applause: