Sign in to follow this  

Help!! crankshaft oil seal quiestion

A buddy is rebuilding his lower end, and did not remember which way the seal on the clutch side crankshaft bearing(right side ball bearing) went in...solid side in or channel side in. Does the solid side go in against the crank bearing, or the side with the channel in it? The service manual does not tell, nor show a pic clearly enough to tell.

Help would be greatly appreciated, the shop's not open this weekend to ask.

spring side always goes towards the oil...so solid side out...flush with case. Put some red loctite on the outer rim of the seal before putting it in...also, some people peen the seal in place as they have a tendency to wobble and allow oil to cross over...

Spring side towards oil? Uhh, there's oil on both sides of that seal..... :applause:

Spring side towards oil? Uhh, there's oil on both sides of that seal..... :applause:

Tranny oil on one side, engine oil on the other. Are you sure about that direction dav? I'd love to finish this thing today. Thanks.

Tranny oil on one side, engine oil on the other. Are you sure about that direction dav? I'd love to finish this thing today. Thanks.

spring towards engine oil is what it was supposed to say. Sorry...the flat surface faces outward toward the tranny oil. I have changed this seal on a few bikes. :applause: