Sign in to follow this  

Sticky tires for 18"/21" wheels

I've got an Excel wheelset that is 18"/21" and before I have them relaced with 17" hoops, I'm curious if anyone knows of any good street rubber that'll fit besides trailwings.

thanks,

mike:thumbsup:

I'm running Bridgestone BT45s on standard wheels. I use my DRZ as my 'car' so have sampled them all year round.

Loads better than anything knobbly, by a huge amount. They've turned the bike into the perfect machine for single track bumpy tarmac roads :applause: .

The DRZ will never make enough power to upset them, and a few thousand miles after fitting them I can barely tell they're wearing.

They're OK in the wet, feel a bit skitty but never actually go anywhere. You can find yourself riding off the edge off the tread if you lean too far though, they aren't 17" radials :applause: .

They are appalling in the mud, but if you ride tarmac, I'd highly recommend them.

Link to Bridgestone BT45 page - http://mc.bridgestone.co.jp/en/products/battlax/bt45.html

I've got an Excel wheelset that is 18"/21" and before I have them relaced with 17" hoops, I'm curious if anyone knows of any good street rubber that'll fit besides trailwings.

thanks,

mike:thumbsup:

I've read the best tires for asphalt are CHENG SHIN BARRACUDA

I have run the CS Barracuda tires and they are really good tires for less than $80 a set. :applause:

I ran the Didtanzia's for a couple hundred miles and liked the way they felt on the road. For hard pack off road they were fine. I didn't feel they would be any good in mud so I went back to the D606's I use my DRZ as a dedicated off road bike now, still plated.

I run Metzler Tourances on my BMW and they are great on the road, and will do gravel roads carefully.

As a dual sport tire that is really good on the road, the Michelin Sirac's worked great for me, and were better on the gravel.

Here's a Sirac. (They sell for cheap on Fleabay)

IMG_2562.jpg

I have a brand,new, never installed rear Sirac for sale if anyone is interested.

for SM use go for the Maxxis Promax front is like 4.00 rear is like 50.00 so for about $100.00 your good to go put 19lbs in each and try it there very sticky and cheap All the sportsmen guys use this front they use the maxxis DTR-1 19in. rear but if you hve an 18in the Promax works great Have :banghead: Fun