Sign in to follow this  

Little brother looking to buy 02-05 Yami WR250F..

My little bro has decided to re-enter the dirtbike scene after recently having his XR250 fall off a ute and himself going into anti-bike mode.

He has his sights on a 2nd hand reg'd WR250F. I'd just like to hear what about what some of you folk who own or might have owned one of these would like to say about them, mainly focusing on areas of attention and what to look out for.

He's pretty much a beginner and doesn't want a 2t 250 at all.

I ride with folks who have the WR250Fs and my son has a YZ250F which I maintain from an engine perspective.

The WR250F'a are very capable and reliable machines. I'd have one if I could have gotten a tag for it to ride DS when I want to.

If you are buying used... just talk to the owner about his riding style and how often he checks the valves. Yamaha has a very reliable valve train... but if someone rev's it out constantly and has never checked or adjusted the valves over a long period of time... they can burn them where they will wear out pre-maturely. The Yamaha has 3 intakes and one can tighten up and burn while the bike still runs somewhat decent. My main concern with any used high performance 4T is the valves and the maintenance on them.