Sign in to follow this  

turbo vor

i was thinking of putting a turbo on my 503 to make it breath more need more ground rippin power i mean why not?its just 5 lbs more weight

I heard it wasn't possible to turbocharge a single cylinder engine because the exhaust pulses are too far apart to spool up the turbo sufficiently.

That's just what I've heard. I could be wrong, but I've also never seen, nor heard of any single cylinder engine with a turbo. If it was that easy, and it only weighs 5 lbs, I think every MX bike would have one straight from the factory.

if the turbo was very small it would be easy to spool up but its gonna give you a wicked powerband with the turbolag its gonna hit as hard as 80cc 2 stroke but with much more power its gonna be like riding a lightswitch. But would be a fun dune bike

It can be done. Here is a page with an XR650R bosted. A little on the crude side, and not very practical for real riding(or duning) but still possible.

http://www.fourstrokesonly.com/HondaXR650RTurbo.html

XR650Rturbo3.jpg

Exhaust pulses aren't the problem, its keeping intake pressures consistent at low RPM/partial boost situations.

A VOR is so high-strung in the first place, and has so much compression, you wont be able to put more than a couple of pounds of boost to it without melting it down. Those pressures would count as "partial boost" too - very hard to keep stable, especially on a motor that revs that fast.

would you be able to do it on say a aprilia rxv4.5

it has the 2 cylinders

Just came across this thread thru a search, i dont think the turbo would be practical for dirtbiking, just because of the spool time(turbo lag). I think supercharging something like this would work better, since the throttle isnt a constant ON.

would you be able to do it on say a aprilia rxv4.5

it has the 2 cylinders

If the XR guy did it, than it would most certainly work better with a twin. Someone should hurry up and figure it out. Turbocharging is the only way to decrease sound while increasing power at the same time. Which is why supercharging wouldn't be the way to go, since noise is a problem.

However, I don't think turbos could be simply bolted on to high performance four strokes like the Aprilia or any other modern rig with light valvetrains. The engines wouldn't be durable enough, nor would they be able to withstand the higher temps. The bikes would boil over constantly. The motors would have to be literally built specifically to work in conjunction with a turbocharger.

If you want to see how EASY it is go to the supermotojunkie.com site and find the thread in "manufacturers" section for Suzuki . Someone did a DRZ400 Turbo

I remember in the early ages of SuperMotard in France to see a XR600 turbo.

I think you'd want to have a bit more experience in turbo,other than zilch. are you capable of O-ringing a cylinder and head for high boost pressure's . valve mtl may need to be changed for extra high heat loads. will stock oil pump be able to supply the turbo ? all questions to ponder. the aircraft industry used special carbs that were designed to operate with turbo's, most were blow through style. lots to do research on, before going through several motor rebuilds. something else to wonder , how reliable are these project bikes, pictures don't tell you how long they run.. I would think that a water cooled bike would be preferred, as keeping the valves cool with an aircooled bike would be marginal. I worked at an offshore boat race team, we had our own engine shop. we went to inconel valves due to the high heat loads on valves. :thumbsup: :thumbsup: