Sign in to follow this  

YZ250F Oil Change

The manual calls for 1.4 (Approximate) quarts of oil when you change the filter. I completely drained it, changed the filter and added 1 quart (less than called for). The one quart filled it above the peep hole. Has anyone else experienced this?

I'm afraid that I'm over filling it.

did u use both drain plugs.....on my 03...there is the one on the motor, and one on the front of the frame in front of the motor

what model year is the bike?? they helps...for a 06..there is on under the motor...and they is one on the right side of the bike if u are looking at it from the back...it should be a 12mm screw i think...undo both of those and put in one bottle and u should be fine

When you fill the bike there will not be any in the tank that you also drained.....Once you start it, it will refill the tank (Frame on older model) then check it.

I think the manual tells you the proper way to check it.

When you fill the bike there will not be any in the tank that you also drained.....Once you start it, it will refill the tank (Frame on older model) then check it.

I think the manual tells you the proper way to check it.

Yeah since it is a sump oil system you have to run it for a miinjute and fil the tank then check it again just a minute ofter shutdown.

1.4 is the incorrect ammount. Why? That is for a motor that is completely drained out (such as doing a case split). The lines and excess oil makes up for .2 quarts.

Use the other value when you change the oil filter.

I make sure the motor is warm so the oil will thin and drain better...After it all drains, I lean the bike over on the throttle side and more comes out. Then refill with 1.25 qts. Like someone mentioned above, you have start and warm the engine, let it set for afew minutes, then check the sight glass. Apparently the sight window height represents .2 qts., because the book says to (after refill) check sight window, if no oil add .2 qts at time until the window shows oil. That's why I try to get every last drop out cuz really not much room for error.