Sign in to follow this  

Devol Lowering link YZ85 Head shake help.

My boy is coming off a moded KTM65 and loves his new YZ85/105. I put a Devol lowering link on it and lowered the forks as much as I could, I can't lowering them any more because the forks tapper. He came off the bike friday going flat out 5th on flat ground, tank slapping like I have only seen on a street bike. Any thoughts?

He is 4'10" weighing in at 70lbs. He is 12 this week.

The head shake seem to follow him around all day. The front is higher then the back from the stock geometry. The lowering link was only suppost to lower it 1.5" but it was more lik 2.5"+.

Any other thought on lowering the bike safly 1.5"-2.0". The YZ85 forks can only be lowered 1.5" by sliding the fork tubes up.

As far as I know the rear spring is stock but the front I do not know? TH Racing did the suspension. The bike was set up for a national level Supermini rider that was a girl.

you could cut some foam out of the seat where he will sit mostly.. you can also get the forks lowered 1.5-2" from a company.. like procircuit or factory connection.. any company who does suspension services can do this..

you can maybe but it back and cut the foam on the seat. let him ride it like it is. thats what i did then when he gets bigger get him a new seat!

(yz85 is the best bike around!)

Yes I have the seat cut out to the max, first thing I did. When that was not even enough for trail riding I got the Devol.

My boy is coming off a moded KTM65 and loves his new YZ85/105. I put a Devol lowering link on it and lowered the forks as much as I could, I can't lowering them any more because the forks tapper. He came off the bike friday going flat out 5th on flat ground, tank slapping like I have only seen on a street bike. Any thoughts?

He is 4'10" weighing in at 70lbs. He is 12 this week.

The head shake seem to follow him around all day. The front is higher then the back from the stock geometry. The lowering link was only suppost to lower it 1.5" but it was more lik 2.5"+.

Any other thought on lowering the bike safly 1.5"-2.0". The YZ85 forks can only be lowered 1.5" by sliding the fork tubes up.

As far as I know the rear spring is stock but the front I do not know? TH Racing did the suspension. The bike was set up for a national level Supermini rider that was a girl.

What your describing wouldn't cause headshake. Lowering the rear more than the front would make it more stable (less head shake) but would likely push the front in corners.

Have you checked that the steering stem is tight enough and does not have too much free-play?

I just got through measuring out everything stock and with the Devol Link in. I have also been talking to http://www.strategic3.com/(Brian Emigs company).

The Devol link lowers the back right at 2".

It is only possible to lower the front 1 1/4".

The front on this bike already seems high.

This does not sound like much but this really throughs the geomety way off.

I have the back back to stock and the front forks at 1 1/4" lower in the clamps and the bike looks right. If you move the forks in any bike just 1/4" it makes big changes. I guess I will keep having to play with it for his weight and height. Hopfully I do not hurt him in the process.

are yall woods riding?? or MX? he doesnt have to touch the ground perfectly.. im sure you know this.. ide just let him get used to it and ride it as is..

Check to see if you have black marks under the front fender. Measure the distance from the tire to the fender and make sure you have at least the same as the bikes front suspension travel. It doesn't seem to me you could take the forks up over an inch. If he is 5th, flat out and hit's something and the tire is hitting and acting like a brake, real bad things are going to happen fast. I just measured my daughters RM 85L, there doesn't seem to be any room on hers at all. Her travel is 10.8, and I measured about 10.5 between the tire and fender, so even at the stock line, she should be able to bottom out and hit the tire a little. This might not be a problem on the smaller wheeled bikes, but since Yamaha doesn't offer a big wheel, they might not have any room.

Man, now I'm getting worried. Did a little bit better measuring, and I'm hitting almost 3/4" before full bottom. I just picked up this bike for my daughter a week ago. There are two lines on the fork, an inch apart, that line up with the top of the tripple clamp. Hers is the big wheel 85L, and I'm now assuming they should have used the top mark (lower the forks) instead of the lower one (probably for the smaller 85 which uses the same fork). Manual doesn't say, but I can see pictures with the forks both ways. I looked at some pictures on the Suzuki web site and it's hard to tell, but I think the L version should use the top line. If I use the top line, I get about a 1/4" play before the tire hits. Anyone know? I think I'll try the Suzuki thread.

A little rubbing will not hurt any thing.

I think I furgured it all out. The stock YZ85's forks are raised in the tripple clamps 3/4"-1". The YZ85's forks can only be raised a total of 1 1/4" in the clamps effectively lowering the front end.

So I you lower the back 2" and can not lower the front to keep the geomity the same the handling gets dangerous. IE do not put a Devol lowering link on a YZ85. If you have to lower on just shorten the stroke on the rear shock and front forks.

Any one want to buy a Devol Lowering link for a YZ85?:applause: