Sign in to follow this  

What are the differences between Hare Scrambles, Enduros, GNCC, WORCS, etc?

I have never seen any off road races, just motocross, supercross, and arenacross. Can some one please explain what are Hare Scrambles? What are Enduro Races? Are they different? What are GNCC races like? What about WORCS? What are on the race courses? Jumps? Berms? Whoops? Rock gardens? Drops? Downed trees/logs?

• Like 1

Even though many questions like this have already been asked (use search) I will help as best i can:prof:

H/S: 7 to 13 (ish) mile loop for a cetain amount of time

Enduro: A set length of course that has to be run @ a certain pace to not time out. Racer must stay as close to the time limit as possible without going to fast.

Points are bad, you get one point for coming it one min. late. you get two points for coming in one min. early. This is calculated at every check point. Racer with the least amount of points at the end of the race wins!!!

GNCC is like a harescramble, just harder and longer

I dont know exactly what WORCS is, but i hear it is more like a GP!!!

Hope This Helps:thumbsup: :applause:

• Like 2

hey thanks for the clarification. I really didn't know what words to use for the search and I have skimmed much of the posts in this category and did not see anything that answered my questions. But I definitely am a Search function person and once again thanks for the info, very helpful.

interesting, i did not know that....

so, being fast in an enduro get you what??? Negitive points! that is the dumbest thing i have ever heard.

Thats good that you used the serch, and sorry, after i posted, i did my own search and it was not as good as i thought it would be, again

sorry

Josh

interesting, i did not know that....

so, being fast in an enduro get you what??? Negitive points! that is the dumbest thing i have ever heard.

I don't get that either. How can you be toooo fast in a race?

I don't get that either. How can you be toooo fast in a race?

As crazy as it sounds, yes. In an enduro race, they have the "perfect" course time worked out, and the rider who is closest to that time at the end of the course is the winner. But I can tell you there are a lot more riders who get point deductions for hitting the checkpoints late than riders who check early. The typical speed used for the time calculations is 24 mph, or something close to that...can you imagine running a full woods course (there are sometimes some sections of actual roads included in the course) at a pace that averages out to exactly 24 mph??? With the way they're laid out, you can't be too much off the speed through the nasty sections, because there aren't usually an equivalent amount of high speed sections to make up the time. One of the primary reasons that enduro racing is so tough. You really gotta hammer the hell out of the worst sections if you're gonna expect any kind of chance to win.

Dwight could give you the big time down and dirty on it...he has done it very well for a very long time.

• Like 1

yeah, in an enduro, they have sections where the average speed is set too low, to make sure you can time keep, and not go too fast. BUT...they have sections where the average speed is set too high...to see who is the better rider, that can go that fast. It hits you from all angles. The thing i think is cool about it is its not just about who can go faster...its also about who can pay attention to what their doing...and actually use their brains, not just their cohones...but you'll need those too!

• Like 1

There some other cool things about enduros (I have raced enduros and harescrambles)

Enduros in Ontario usually run at 36 km/hr, woods or road section, doesn't matter. This makes it safer since you don't rip down the roads at 100 MPH to get to the next section. There is usually a check in and check out of the wooded sections with road sections in between, so if you rip down the road fast, you would have to stop and wait until the rollchart (or enduro computer) tells you the time to go into the section, because there most likely is a check just inside the woods where you can't see it from the road.

It's kinda wierd being in a race, with half a dozen guys just waiting at the side of the road for thier minute to come up. In that sense, it is more a "gentlemans race" because you are not really racing the other guy, you are racing the clock, so people are generally pretty friendly at these events.

The mental aspect can be difficult 4 hours into it. "Hmmm... it's 2:34 and I'm on minute 18, so my clock should be set to..." simple math become difficult. Also, when you get the hang of the events you can make good guesses about where checks may be, so you have an idea where you can go faster without coming in early.

Mortals cannot keep up the average 36km/hr speed. The expert guys might loose 15 minutes over the day. I am usually lucky if I don't hour out.

After you have a few races under your belt, it's very addictive.

• Like 2

WORCS is similar to GNCC in that it is THE series for off road racing in America - GNCC is east coast and WORCS is west coast. I'm guessing WORCS is higher speeds because terrain west of the mississippi tends to be more open. GNCC seems to be more popular but maybe that's just cause I'm on the east coast.

• Like 1

You can get a good description of different types of MC competition off the AMA web site http://www.amadirectlink.com/ Out here, there are a couple of great racing organization sites you can browse and get some ideas http://www.whiplashracing.com/main.html AND http://www.amraracing.com/ IMHO, all the major sanctioning bodies are excellent including AMA. HTH

Sounds interesting with Enduros... Any 411 on this in lower Michigan (Grand Rapids area). Can you practice the course to learn???? :applause:

Enduro's: Go warp speed for 10 miles then take a break. Repeat several times. Course is relatively pristine because it's only ridden once per rider.

Everything else: Slow way down and beat yourself to death over the most crappy course you can imagine for 2+ hours with no breaks. Course is ridden 5-6 times per rider.

Enduro's: Go warp speed for 10 miles then take a break. Repeat several times. Course is relatively pristine because it's only ridden once per rider.

Everything else: Slow way down and beat yourself to death over the most crappy course you can imagine for 2+ hours with no breaks. Course is ridden 5-6 times per rider.

:applause: That's a pretty damn accurate description!!! :lol:

enduro's look like they'd be more fun then other types... especially if your not a super fast rider. In which case, just go as fast as youc an all the time, and hope for the best.