Sign in to follow this  

New to TT & riding!

Hey ladies!!! I am a mom to 3 kids girl-10, boy-6, boy-12mo. The older 2 ride a honda 50 and my husband rides a Yamaha YZ 250. I have been riding my Honda utility 4-wheeler for a while now and have rode my husbands old Warrior 350. I really want to learn to ride a dirtbike. I have never been on a dirtbike of any kind. I have my eye on a Yamaha TTR230. My husband is leary of getting me one because he doesn't want me to get hurt...:applause: So I have been having trouble convincing him that i'm a big girl and its what i want to do. Do you all have any advice for a beginner? What do you think about the ttr230? I'm tall, 5' 10" and about 135 lbs. pretty bony macaronni!!! Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks!!!:applause:

The TTR230 is an awesome little bike. Not scary power and plenty big enough to handle your taller frame.

The TTR230 has the same power delivery as the smaller 125. I think it's an excellent choice to start out on......You will have a VERY good time on it.

As far as not getting hurt? WTH!? You have given birth to three live babies!!!! Nothing more 'hurt' than that!!! :applause: (I myself have two!)

Go for it!! The 230 is a great bike. I started on a TTR225 and it was a great bike to learn on. Although there is always the chance of getting hurt, it is worth the risk. Riding is awsome. Good luck and have a blast!!

LoL he doesn't want you to get hurt so he puts you on a quad!?!?! :applause: They scare the crap out of me!

BUT I love my CRF230 :applause: I think the TTR is actually heavier....It is a realllllly fun bike and so easy to maintain. You'll like it but probably need riser blocks for the bars to make it feel comfy. I'm 5' 7" and added them to mine.

Thanks girls! I agree about the quads!!!! I have wrecked anything i have ever rode...LOL! I flipped my husbands warrior! ( Dumped the clutch in 1st gear! um-duhr!!!! )I didn't get hurt but that should show him how tough i really am. LMAO about the giving birth to 3 live babies!!! How true! I will use THAT as a point to him!!! I think that i will call about some used TTR's that i have been looking at on cycle trader and also check on the CRF's. My husband not the most pacient person in the world but i am very hard headed...lol and keep at it. Wish me LUCK!!!

Thanks girls! I agree about the quads!!!! I have wrecked anything i have ever rode...LOL! I flipped my husbands warrior! ( Dumped the clutch in 1st gear! um-duhr!!!! )I didn't get hurt but that should show him how tough i really am. LMAO about the giving birth to 3 live babies!!! How true! I will use THAT as a point to him!!! I think that i will call about some used TTR's that i have been looking at on cycle trader and also check on the CRF's. My husband not the most pacient person in the world but i am very hard headed...lol and keep at it. Wish me LUCK!!!

Best of luck!!! Here's a couple links to compare the 2- 230's. The weight isn't an issue while riding, but if you dump it you gotta pick the beast up!!! I think ther are a few issues with the clutch on the TTR, but you can check that forum. I am not a strictly Honda or Yamaha person since we've got both, but when it comes to the 230 catagory I am REALLY glad I chose RED! :applause:

http://www.cycleworldathens.com/new_vehicle_compare.asp?sid=01816675X1K4K2007J8I26I23JPMQ898R0&veh1=37845&mfg2=2&veh2=38331&go=Go

http://www.cycleworld.com/article.asp?section_id=12&article_id=115&page_number=1

Thanks for the links!!! That helps alot. I think that i'm leaning towards the honda. I'll check out both and see. You gals have been so much help!

LOL..I just ordered a pair of Thor boots!!! Can't wait to ride!

It is rather adictive (as I sit here and type because it was storming today :applause: ) *sniffle* poor poor me.....*sigh*

It is rather adictive (as I sit here and type because it was storming today :cry: ) *sniffle* poor poor me.....*sigh*

VERY addicting!:applause:

We just got back from riding...it's raining and snowing and just plain old gross out....but I got to ride my bike. I am now a happier camper. Nothing soothes me like the scream of my 80 with the throttle pinned....well, that and the smell of two stroke exhaust!!!!:applause::lol:

(Yes we were on the ice again...10" of snow fall didn't stop us! :cry:)

Hey ladies!!! I am a mom to 3 kids girl-10, boy-6, boy-12mo. The older 2 ride a honda 50 and my husband rides a Yamaha YZ 250. I have been riding my Honda utility 4-wheeler for a while now and have rode my husbands old Warrior 350. I really want to learn to ride a dirtbike. I have never been on a dirtbike of any kind. I have my eye on a Yamaha TTR230. My husband is leary of getting me one because he doesn't want me to get hurt...:applause: So I have been having trouble convincing him that i'm a big girl and its what i want to do. Do you all have any advice for a beginner? What do you think about the ttr230? I'm tall, 5' 10" and about 135 lbs. pretty bony macaronni!!! Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks!!!:applause:

Before you run out and buy a bike there are a few questions I think you should answer. What kind of bike is right for you may depend as much on your personality as experience.

Your height works in your favor but at 135lbs I have to ask... are you wimpy bony or wirey (thin but strong)? I really don't think you'll have a problem with the weight of a larger bike but you do have to be strong enough to pick it up when you are tired and just dumped the bike. You are about the size of a friend of mine and she is thin too but rides a CR250.

Are you aggressive when you ride the quads?

If you just putt along a 230 will be just fine but if you are on the aggressive side you may outgrow it's power in a hurry.

If you are more aggressive then you might like a KDX or A 200 KTM 2 Stroke. The 2 strokes and higher performance 250s might actually be lighter than the 230s but they may also be taller.

Whatever you decide, take your time, be persistent and have fun.

LoL he doesn't want you to get hurt so he puts you on a quad!?!?! :applause: They scare the crap out of me!QUOTE]

I agree, I've rode quads a little here and there, but I prefer a dirtbike anytime, anywhere! Quad are bulky and akward to me.

So has your husband come around yet? Dirtbikes are something a family can enjoy together. As a kid our family vacations and weekend getaways were taking the bikes out camping. And now that I'm married, it's still that way, my husband and I go, and my parents and brother (and cousins) all still go out together. It's a great sport to be involved in, and the earlier the kids get started, the better I think! We even have a bike for my 4 year old stepson even though he's not coordinated enough yet! :applause: