Sign in to follow this  

picked up my first "new" Husky

Well, I've had lots of Husky's over the years, but never a new one.

Couldn't pass up the price on a new 06 TC450, so I had to do it. :applause:

It was the last one of (68) that they sold for the year. I'm grateful I called when I did.

Obviously I've only owned TE/WXC/XC Enduro type bikes, so this TC might seem odd in the mix. Well, from what I've read on here, the TC's work quite well in desert applications, where it will be ridden most, so I took a chance. No MX for this one.

The only quality issue I saw thus far was the graphics. They look great, but they are not adhering well at all. They said there is nothing they can do about it, all of them are doing this. The bike also had a few scuffs and scratches... wasn't thrilled about that either. Anything new, should be near flawless. Oh well.

I picked up a few other goodies too:

-Rad Guards

-Muffler Heat Shild

-Chain Guard near engine

-15 front/48 rear

-Jetting they recommend (need to find out what I need to do here)

-Skid Plate

Right now I'm confused as to how to break this one in. I've always been VERY careful during this process, but I see there is a lot of controversy as to how.

I also need to get the suspension tuned I'm sure. I don't know how far off it will be, but it likely is. I'm 210 and ride mostly desert, so if this thing is MX, won't work for me. I'll read up on how to resolve.

Just glad to have a new addition to the family and look forward to researching more about this bike in how to make it even better. I doubt I will have to do much.

Look forward to any suggestions and recommendations in owning this bike.....things to look out for, etc...

Thanks guys! :applause:

Well, I've had lots of Husky's over the years, but never a new one.

Couldn't pass up the price on a new 06 TC450, so I had to do it. :applause:

It was the last one of (68) that they sold for the year. I'm grateful I called when I did.

Obviously I've only owned TE/WXC/XC Enduro type bikes, so this TC might seem odd in the mix. Well, from what I've read on here, the TC's work quite well in desert applications, where it will be ridden most, so I took a chance. No MX for this one.

The only quality issue I saw thus far was the graphics. They look great, but they are not adhering well at all. They said there is nothing they can do about it, all of them are doing this. The bike also had a few scuffs and scratches... wasn't thrilled about that either. Anything new, should be near flawless. Oh well.

I picked up a few other goodies too:

-Rad Guards

-Muffler Heat Shild

-Chain Guard near engine

-15 front/48 rear

-Jetting they recommend (need to find out what I need to do here)

-Skid Plate

Right now I'm confused as to how to break this one in. I've always been VERY careful during this process, but I see there is a lot of controversy as to how.

I also need to get the suspension tuned I'm sure. I don't know how far off it will be, but it likely is. I'm 210 and ride mostly desert, so if this thing is MX, won't work for me. I'll read up on how to resolve.

Just glad to have a new addition to the family and look forward to researching more about this bike in how to make it even better. I doubt I will have to do much.

Look forward to any suggestions and recommendations in owning this bike.....things to look out for, etc...

Thanks guys! :applause:

From Malcolm's????

I saw a 450 there, $4765 bucks or something like that

The bike stock will pull at 15/42 easily. However, for Sf we are running a 15/44. Good gearing for the desert too if you want to ditch the 48 or leave it for mountain trails. Loads of top end and good clutch you have there. Congrats on getting the bike. Good desert sled.:applause:

Ryan,

Good deal! Huskys usually come out of the crate pretty nice(wooden crate). Two Burgers had a few scuffs and Husky made good on it. My dealer says his KTM's are much more "scratch and dent" when uncrated. Someday I'll have a twin cam Husky. Ride it like you stole it!

Norman

BAJA: I have not opened the gears up yet. I was thinking 15/46, but it seemed too radical of a move, so I opted for the 48. Do you think I should do the 15/46? Again, 80% desert, 20% mountain trails.

Good to know otherwise on the power situation!

Norm: Thanks man. You've seen my posting/bike history. Hopefully I made a wise decision. What about the break in? Becareful or easy on the throttle the first 2 hours?

Should I ask Husky directly to replace my scratched up stock parts, or is it too late since I didn't deal with the dealer on it?

I hate the fact this new bike has almost as many scratches as my 03 Polaris quad, which of course I keep immac!

Can't wait to get aboard her.

By the way, I did look long and hard for a TE400. I could not find one if my life depended on it!

Ryan,

I'm no expert on break in, but I'd say don't baby it or flog it. I think you should deal with the dealer, you shouldn't have taken the bike if you weren't satisfied with its condition. We know where you came from and can see that single cam engine and "Flo Green" fender in your avatar!

Norman

Thanks Norman... I know. I should have just dealt with it there, but I didn't think it would bug me, but it did. I'll email the dealer on it. They also did not give me the spare muffler can like everyone else was getting.

Gotta love that 610 avatar! Still my fav.

I think I'm going to research making my flywheel a little heavier... I do like that torquey feeling....from the single cammers...and TE flywheel..