Sign in to follow this  

07 WR450f vs. 06 CRF450x.. Can't decide, please help

Hey guys,

I need some help and wasn't sure if this is the right area, but here it goes. I am liter street bike guy that is retiring from the street and going to dirt. I can't seem to make up my mind about either the 07 WR450f or the 06/07 CRF450x. I like power, but not at the cost of durability. I was actually also considering an 06/07 KTM 525 EXC or XC. I can't seem to find much info on any of these bike as easily as I find street bike info. Is there a magazine that covers these type of bikes, and what mods they respond to or am I better off looking on forums. Any help is much appreciated. Also green sticker is a must :applause:

You can't go wrong with either one. Both are great bikes to ride. If it were me, the choice would be based on dealer support, parts support, and price. One thing to watch out for is Yamaha parts prices seem to be higher than similar parts from Honda (in my experience).

Try looking in magazines such as Dirt Bike and Dirt Rider. They're always running articles about the bikes and mods to make.

Good luck and welcome to the dirt!!

Any reason you are choosing between a 2007 WR and a year older 2006 CRF? :cry:

This shootout will give you a good idea of the differences and it's a very good review. :applause:

And this is a review for the 2007 WR450F/250F.

They are both excellent bikes. As said many times before: "Choose a color!" :applause:

But seriously :lol: since they are both so good I know many people don't have a chance but to ride them both and then you will know for sure which one you like best.

Do a search in the model specific forums there is loads of info. Each bike you mentioned are very good and as mentioned dealer support is a consideration but , you can order anything online ... You have to do some "free" mods to the Wr to make it really rip and its very reliable.... the CR's have had some valve and tranny issues But is still a great bike and the KTM 's are ready to go out of the crate plus the 07 EXC's are street legal this year which is awesome ...By all means check the magazine reviews and search the forums ...:applause:

KTM 450EXC... and this year you can get a tag on it. That is what turned me when I got my KTM. You can argue all day long about the performance merits of all three, but the KTM is a proven offroad race machine and it now comes streetlegal. It will hold more value just because of that.

If you don't get the KTM... I'd go with the Yamaha. Better motors.

Read the article tphss linked to. It is excellent, doesn't seem biased at all but points you to the superior bike and most importantly tells you why.

to my knowledge, there weren't any changes made to the 2007 CRF450X from the 2006 model.

Read the review. They all are great bikes. But you are in California, so get something that is street legal if you can. It doesn't matter what the color of the bike is.

I wouldn't buy a new dirtbike. There is no point in that. You will drop it, crash it and beat it up while riding.

I have an 05 wr450 and can't see needing to upgrade or change to anything else. The bike is bulletproof and can do anything that my confidence and skills allow.

Look for a deal on a used one and you can save several thousands.

Also... learn to do your own maintenance. Its simple.

I ride a liter street bike also, 2005 GSXR1000. Last year I bought a new 2006 YZ450F and love it. That would be my suggestion.

Any reason you are choosing between a 2007 WR and a year older 2006 CRF? :lol:

The reasons why is 07 WR 450f has the YZ frame now, and there are a few 06 crf450x's around area which don't have any changes for 07. :applause:

I appreciate everyones feedback, and it does help. :applause:

the 450 x is the best all around off road bike! ( can you say electric start)

ive had great experience with Yamhas so id say go with blue.

Once you go Blue you never go back ahahaha :applause:

Your argument is pretty weak from what you have written here.

Yamaha has had electric start since the '03 WR450 came out. Ktm has it as well.:applause:

Is that what you feel makes the 450X the best?

DO you own a 450X? Have you ever ridden one?

hmm... ALL THREE BIKES HAVE ELECTRIC START!!! i would personally go with the Yamaha. I ride a YZ250F and I'm absolutely in love with it... Hondas seem to have clutches that overheat and fade quickly... KTM's are great but are wayyy overpriced and IMHO overrated as well... Yamahas have the most durable and powerful engines and have the newest, most advanced suspension.

They're all good bikes but i believe the Yamaha accels above the rest. Try all of them before buying and find which one feels the most balanced/comfortable for you. Good luck choosing! :applause:

The reasons why is 07 WR 450f has the YZ frame now, and there are a few 06 crf450x's around area which don't have any changes for 07. :applause:

I appreciate everyones feedback, and it does help. :applause:

Two years ago, I made the switch from street to dirt. I have been riding on the street for 20 years, so I am clearly experienced at operating the "controls" on the bike, or any bike for that matter.

I started out with the 05 wr450 because I needed to have a green sticker. In truth, the things you do on the street are very different that what you do in the dirt. You will have a lot to learn.

Instead of worrying about YZ frames, you should be worried about the overall weight of the bike you'll be learning on. Personally, I wish I had started with an older 2 stroke 250cc, probably a 98-2002 year bike. I would have gotten it for about $2500 or less and would have learned all about the dirt without fighting the weight of that bike.

don't get me wrong, I had lots of fun and I didn't take a bad approach. But if I had to do it all over again, I'd get a lighter 2 stroke, learn about dirt, body english, brake sliding and hill climbing. Then I would upgrade to the 450cc 4 stroke after about 2 years. This would also give you a chance to learn how to work on your own bike cheaply.

What if you pay $7K and then realize that isn't the bike for you based on the terrain and riding style you have. buy used at first, learn, then sell it for what you paid for it.

Your approach will work, I did it. I am just trying to present an alternate and significantly cheaper approach.

I own an 05 WR 450, and a 2006 YZ250F. I am absolutely smittened with the 250, but I also love the WR for riding open areas. The WR was a great bike in 05, but the new one must be head and shoulders above because of the new frame with lower cg and better handling. The WR was still winning shootouts with the old frame, so I'm betting it's by far the best 450 enduro out there. The only thing Yamaha might have messed up was making the suspension softer to make the east coast woods riders happy. But if your like me, you'll get your suspension customized for your weight anyway.

Despite all my love for WR's, I'm selling mine soon so I can get a street legal enduro like the KTM 525. I've ridden one, and I can't say it's better than my WR in any way, but it has a license plate, which makes all the difference in the world. The plate will open up a lot more riding for me. I don't plan on doing a lot of street riding, but I like the idea of being able to connect trails on the tarmac without planning escape routs from the fuzz.

I'd say if you don't need the plate, get a 2007 WR 450

If you want street legality, get the 2007 KTM 525, or the 450, for that matter.

But, as someone already stated in this thread, riding a liter bike on the street in no way prepares you for off-road. If you're a total newbie in the dirt, you may want to consider a smaller displacement bike to get started with. You'll certainly be laying it down a lot, and a 250-plus pound big bore will wear you out.

Do you want a 450 to go fast? I'm way faster on tight trails on my 250F, and I can ride longer without getting tired, all the while having more fun.

I recently read an article in some publication that compared lap times in off-road races for B and C class riders (average skill levels) riding 250 F's, 250 2 strokes and 450 four strokes. The riders, nearly unanimously, were fastest on the 250 four strokes, which have the least power of the three. Kinda makes you think, doesn't it?