Sign in to follow this  

Nite Rider

Have you guys ever tried to use a nite rider (bicycle light system) for your motos? I wonder if it would be enough light if you ran a bar mount and a helmet mount light...

Have used several Halogen type "nite-rider" lights for both handlebar and helmet use, from previous night time mountain-bike use. My experience has been they are most useful when used in conjunction with a normal headlight system.

I've used the helmet light in conjunction with a normal (i.e. XR200R) headlight and it seems to be more than adequate for medium speed night trail rides. It allows you to point a light beam on trail hazards and things that the headlight would not normally illuminate. I have a non-standard battery pack (12 lithium-ion battery cells) that allows for a 2-3 hour burn on the 25 watt high-beam setting. You can also turn the helmet light on/off depending on the need for light where you are.

The primary limitations of these are the meager battery life for the amount of bulb wattage, i.e. brighter light = shorter light time. Most of the battery life times are around 2 hours. ... for non bicycle use, where weight is not quite so important, you could build a larger battery pack with more capacity, but it would likely be quite $$ expensive, probably $200-300 if not more.

From personal experience, there is NOTHING quite as exciting as losing illumination from a battery powered light, or having it dim from very bright to a dull flicker when you are in the middle of a treacherous ride

As far as using a bicycle light on it's own with no backup or auxiliary light, I would be somewhat cautious, You might consider hard-wiring a night-rider light into your bike's charging system and using a voltage rectifier or battery to absorb the excess voltage. I've seen other riders using a quick disconnect electrical connection with a flexible coiled cord mounted at the handlebars also.

My XR's headlight by itself is O.K., not overly bright, the helmet light helps out a lot.

Lazyracer

Thx for the info. Im gonna be buying a nite rider light for my bikes which I do night rides and commute to work on and was seeing if 2 lights (handlebar and helmet light) would be sufficient on the moto. Sounds like it would be but without the time span you really want. I dont have a charging system on board my bike either (05' crf250r) so i was hoping the nite rider would work as I can use it for my bicycles and my moto.

Btw my new fav thing to do is ride my mt bike on night rides and turn the light off :applause:

It makes for an interesting ride with some extra adrenaline being pumped into you. Fun stuff.....