Sign in to follow this  

Need to bleed the clutch on a new bike?

What is the likelihood I would have to bleed the clutch on my new SMR with the bike having under 5 hours of use? I noticed on my short ride last night that it was hard to shift from 1st to 2nd and now pushing it around the garage I notice that with it in gear with the clutch lever pulled in I can barely push it. I checked and the fluid reservoir up on the perch is full? Any ideas/suggestions?

Thanks

Well I just did some more searching and I now think that it might be a good idea to get the Magura bleeder kit but I am having trouble finding a place to buy it? Most of the sites that come up searching Google are for bicycle disc brakes.

pushing it around the garage I notice that with it in gear with the clutch lever pulled in I can barely push it. I checked and the fluid reservoir up on the perch is full? Any ideas/suggestions?

Thanks

Normal drag in the clutch, especially with cold oil.

I don't think you should bleed it just yet. That new it might just need adjustment or warming up first. Unlikely there's an issue with the clutch, it's probably just getting settled in.

What is the likelihood I would have to bleed the clutch on my new SMR with the bike having under 5 hours of use? I noticed on my short ride last night that it was hard to shift from 1st to 2nd and now pushing it around the garage I notice that with it in gear with the clutch lever pulled in I can barely push it. I checked and the fluid reservoir up on the perch is full? Any ideas/suggestions?

Thanks

Make sure it's not TOO FULL and at the MInimum level or just above. Once it gets hot and the fluid expands, it needs a place to go!

KTM Dealers carry the Magura bleed kit, at least good ones do.

Normal drag in the clutch, especially with cold oil.

I've never had a bike with a hydrolic clutch but that just doesn't seem right? Why would there be that much drag? Wouldn't that be bad on the clutch when stopped and in gear with the bike running?

I don't think you should bleed it just yet. That new it might just need adjustment or warming up first. Unlikely there's an issue with the clutch, it's probably just getting settled in.

There is no adjustment that I am aware of. If there is I would love to know about it. You think it is safe to ride it this way hoping it will take care of itself with a little more time on it?

My 06 TE450 had some air in the system. Clutch would go all the way to the bar and you had to pump it up. Bled system, fixed.

The lever feels the same as it did from day one. I rally can't remember if I have ever tried to push it while it was in gear though so I have no real point of refrence.

99.9999% sure you are feeling clutch drag - start the bike in neutral, pull in the clutch, pop it into gear, and if it is cold it wants to go forward if you did not have you hand on the front brake.

I posted about that too when I first got the bike. It happens less with more miles and oil changes.

Got the same on mine, its not a problem once the bike is warmed up. IMO dont worry about it, its a common problem with other bikes ive had as well